From: Leo Davidson on
On Jul 8, 3:08 pm, yodadrinkslager <alla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info Jackie.  Unfortunately I cant find where in the
> python code the cursor pos is being set otherwise I would have just
> removed it.  Our python codebase is rather large!

I assumed you were talking about a compiled Python program you didn't
have source to.

Detours is a last resort, IMO. It's not easy to use & maintain.

If you have source to the program (and are able to build a new
version) then building a hack based on Detours will surely take more
time & effort than find where the Python code moves the cursor and
making that conditional on something (cmdline argument, env-var,
registry setting, text file somewhere).
From: Jackie on
yodadrinkslager wrote:
> Thanks for the info Jackie. Unfortunately I cant find where in the
> python code the cursor pos is being set otherwise I would have just
> removed it. Our python codebase is rather large!
>
> Thanks
> Allan

How about using a Python debugger?
If you can, set a breakpoint at SetCursorPos
(windll.user32.SetCursorPos?), then keep going backwards in the call
stack until you know where the code is located.

--
Regards,
Jackie
From: Jackie on
> Just to clarify, my problem was building the detour.bin file. For
> some reason when I tried from VS2008 it didnt know what nmake was.
> Once I added that to the path, it then failed knowing what rc.exe
> was. Doing this from VS2005 worked fine (after I already wasted an
> hour trying to get 2008 working). Once the bin file was compiled, I
> can use detours fine in VS2008.
>
> Cheers
> Allan

Not sure what this "bin" file is. You should just need the include files
and detour(s|ed).lib, at least in version 2.1.
And please make sure you use "Visual Studio 20xx Command Prompt" when
compiling so that it sets up the environment properly.

--
Regards,
Jackie
From: yodadrinkslager on
On 8 July, 17:12, Jackie <Jac...(a)an.on> wrote:
> > Just to clarify, my problem was building the detour.bin file.  For
> > some reason when I tried from VS2008 it didnt know what nmake was.
> > Once I added that to the path, it then failed knowing what rc.exe
> > was.  Doing this from VS2005 worked fine (after I already wasted an
> > hour trying to get 2008 working).  Once the bin file was compiled, I
> > can use detours fine in VS2008.
>
> > Cheers
> > Allan
>
> Not sure what this "bin" file is. You should just need the include files
> and detour(s|ed).lib, at least in version 2.1.
> And please make sure you use "Visual Studio 20xx Command Prompt" when
> compiling so that it sets up the environment properly.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jackie

Ah sorry, I meant the lib file. I had to build the .lib file manually
which couldnt be done in my VS2008, but worked flawlessly in VS2005
Allan
From: yodadrinkslager on
On 8 July, 17:12, Jackie <Jac...(a)an.on> wrote:
> > Just to clarify, my problem was building the detour.bin file.  For
> > some reason when I tried from VS2008 it didnt know what nmake was.
> > Once I added that to the path, it then failed knowing what rc.exe
> > was.  Doing this from VS2005 worked fine (after I already wasted an
> > hour trying to get 2008 working).  Once the bin file was compiled, I
> > can use detours fine in VS2008.
>
> > Cheers
> > Allan
>
> Not sure what this "bin" file is. You should just need the include files
> and detour(s|ed).lib, at least in version 2.1.
> And please make sure you use "Visual Studio 20xx Command Prompt" when
> compiling so that it sets up the environment properly.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jackie

And yes, I was using the VS CMD...