From: Ron on
How can I stop a large e-mail that is already downloading? With dial-up,
some e-mails take too long to download.
From: Bruce Hagen on
Create a Message Rule:

Where the message size is more than size
Delete it from Server
Click on Size and set it for about 100KB.
Click: Apply Now.

message.

Remember to go back into Message Rules and either delete the rule, or
uncheck it so you can use it in the future.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

From: Michael Santovec on
If the message is already downloading, the only thing I've found that
works is to hang up the modem. Double click the modem icon by the clock
in the lower right hand corner of the screen and then click the
disconnect button.

To avoid the problem in the future, Tools, Message Rules, Mail Rules,
New, Size more than xx KB, Do Not Download
(This needs to be at the top of your messages rules with any other rules
that have an action of Do Not Download or Delete From Server otherwise a
prior rule might trigger a download.)

Mail will download just the smaller ones. With OE5+ you won't get any
obvious indication that there are messages not being downloaded because
of the message rules. If you've just done a Send and Receive and then
immediately do another one, you'll briefly get a display of "Receiving
List of Messages" but nothing will download if all the messages are
getting skipped. If there are no messages still on the server, you
won't see the "Receiving List of Messages" at all.

If desired, you can later increase or remove the limit to download them.
(Or change the action to Delete From Server it you are sure that you
don't want them.)

You should eventually delete them from the server if you decide you
don't want them. Otherwise your server mail box will eventually reach
its limit (set by your ISP).

With many ISPs offer a web mail interface to look at your server mail
box to decide if you want the messages and, if desired, delete them
without downloading.

Or you may be able to use Telnet if they don't offer a web mail
interface. You can find these Telnet instructions at
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/pop3telnet.htm

Or you might also be able to use http://mail2web.com or
http://www.mailstart.com for this function (if your ISP allows outside
access to their POP3 mail server). Or there are some shareware programs
that let you look at messages on the server.