From: CJB on
This must be an issue from time immemorial - well as far back as the
original web pages of the last century.

But what are the best ways to stop email addresses being harvested -
and therefore sold for spamming - from: 1/ the text of a web page, and
2/ the source HTML.

This was 'solved' in a rather inelegant fashion as per this page:

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/geoff.rodliffe - then click on 'Author'

That is with the use of " AT " in place of the usual "@"

But this is a fudge.

I found one web site with another idea at:

http://www.redalkemi.com/contactus.php

Here they have replaced the page text with a small graphic displaying
the email address. The link behind this is to the actual email
address. But this would not stop the harvesting of the addresses from
the HTML source.

So does anyone have any other solutions please?

CJB.
From: Ronx on
Best method: Don't display the email address in the page - use a contact form in the site, with server side anti-spam measures (Captcha, recaptcha or other methods) and the sendto address added by the server side script - reqiores asp, asp.NET, PHP etc.

Alternative: Use javascript to write the email address to the page:

<script type="text/javascript">
var user = "someuser";
var domain = "example";
document.write("<p>Email: <a href=\"mailto:" + user + chr(64) + domain + ".com" + "</p>")
</script>

Most webots have javascript disabled, so they will see nothing - caveat: users with javascript disabled will also not see an email address.

--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx

CJB explained on 06/06/2010 :

From: Kathleen Anderson on
Chris Pirillo recommended Email scrambler in his latest newsletter:
http://chris.pirillo.com/scramble-your-email-address-to-avoid-spam/

http://www.pagetutor.com/scrambler/index.html

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - Expression Web

From: CJB on
On Jun 6, 12:13 pm, Ronx <ronx...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Best method:  Don't display the email address in the page - use a contact form in the site, with server side anti-spam measures (Captcha, recaptcha or other methods) and the sendto address added by the server side script - reqiores asp, asp.NET, PHP etc.
>
> Alternative: Use javascript to write the email address to the page:
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> var user = "someuser";
> var domain = "example";
> document.write("<p>Email: <a href=\"mailto:" + user + chr(64) + domain + ".com" + "</p>")
> </script>
>
> Most webots have javascript disabled, so they will see nothing - caveat: users with javascript disabled will also not see an email address.
>
> --
> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details of why and where to go seehttp://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>
> CJB explained on 06/06/2010 :
>

> > This must be an issue from time immemorial -
> > well as far back as the original web pages of
> > the last century.
> > But what are the best ways to stop email
> > addresses being harvested - and therefore sold
> > for spamming - from: 1/ the text of a web page,
> > and 2/ the source HTML.
> > This was 'solved' in a rather inelegant fashion
> > as per this page:
> >http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/geoff.rodliffe-
> > then click on 'Author'
> > That is with the use of " AT " in place of the
> > usual "@"
> > But this is a fudge.
> > I found one web site with another idea at:
> >http://www.redalkemi.com/contactus.php
> > Here they have replaced the page text with a
> > small graphic displaying the email address. The
> > link behind this is to the actual email
> > address. But this would not stop the harvesting
> > of the addresses from the HTML source.
> > So does anyone have any other solutions please?
> > CJB.
>
> --
> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details
> of why and where to go seehttp://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx- Hide quoted text -

Excellent - now is there a way of detecting whether a user has
Javascript enabled (hmm - but I'd also need to detect the browser
being used I guess!!). Then if so I could code something like:

If Javascript enabled then show this, otherwise then show that - kind
of thing.

Chris B.
From: CJB on
On Jun 6, 2:45 pm, "Kathleen Anderson" <kander...(a)remove.mvps.org>
wrote:
> Chris Pirillo recommended Email scrambler in his latest newsletter:http://chris.pirillo.com/scramble-your-email-address-to-avoid-spam/
>
> http://www.pagetutor.com/scrambler/index.html
>
> --
>
> ~ Kathleen Anderson
> Microsoft MVP - Expression Web
> Spider Web Woman Designs
> Expression Web Resources:http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/xweb/
> Expression Web Wiki:http://expression-web-wiki.com/
> FrontPage Resources:http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> Please reply to the newsgroup for the benefit of others
>
> "Ronx" <ronx...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Best method:  Don't display the email address in the page - use a contact
> > form in the site, with server side anti-spam measures (Captcha, recaptcha
> > or other methods) and the sendto address added by the server side script -
> > reqiores asp, asp.NET, PHP etc.
>
> > Alternative: Use javascript to write the email address to the page:
>
> > <script type="text/javascript">
> > var user = "someuser";
> > var domain = "example";
> > document.write("<p>Email: <a href=\"mailto:" + user + chr(64) + domain +
> > ".com" + "</p>")
> > </script>
>
> > Most webots have javascript disabled, so they will see nothing - caveat:
> > users with javascript disabled will also not see an email address.
>
> > --
> > Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> >http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
> > Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details of why and where to go
> > see
> >http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>
> > CJB explained on 06/06/2010 :
> >> This must be an issue from time immemorial -
> >> well as far back as the original web pages of
> >> the last century.
>
> >> But what are the best ways to stop email
> >> addresses being harvested - and therefore sold
> >> for spamming - from: 1/ the text of a web page,
> >> and 2/ the source HTML.
>
> >> This was 'solved' in a rather inelegant fashion
> >> as per this page:
>
> >>http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/geoff.rodliffe-
> >> then click on 'Author'
>
> >> That is with the use of " AT " in place of the
> >> usual "@"
>
> >> But this is a fudge.
>
> >> I found one web site with another idea at:
>
> >>http://www.redalkemi.com/contactus.php
>
> >> Here they have replaced the page text with a
> >> small graphic displaying the email address. The
> >> link behind this is to the actual email
> >> address. But this would not stop the harvesting
> >> of the addresses from the HTML source.
>
> >> So does anyone have any other solutions please?
>
> >> CJB.
>
> > --
> > Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> >http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
> > Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details
> > of why and where to go see
> >http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx- Hide quoted text -

Hmm - scrambled email addresses. I'll research those. Thank you.

Chris B.