From: Will Honea on
My daughter just put a bug in my wife's ear about streaming Netflix movies.
My first reaction was to check their site and put her off with the story
that "Linux is not supported" which will only last for so long,
therefore...

Has anyone been able to get this to work with openSUSE? If so, which
versions and what player did you use?

Regardless of the os, what's the general opinion of what the quality would
be like with a 1.5MB DSL connection? Is that technically adequate for
watching on a 24 inch widescreen panel? (I'm talking about the technical
quality here, not artistic. I don't expect the artistic quality to improve
on a smaller screen).

--
Will Honea

From: Will Honea on
mjt wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:43:22 -0600
> Will Honea <whonea(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> My daughter just put a bug in my wife's ear about streaming Netflix
>> movies.
>
> Rumor has it installing Moonlight and changing the "User Agent"
> of the browser to "IE..." should do it, but I think the issue
> is that ActiveX is required? Which of course, is "Windows-only".
> (I could be rwong on the ActiveX part).
>
> Are you looking to support "Instant Watch" ?
>
> Heck, you might give Moonlight a go.

They did specify "Silverlight" on the site, so that might be a good start.

> Since Netflix supports the Mac, I would think,
> *somehow*, it could work on a GNU/Linux distro.
>
>> Regardless of the os, what's the general opinion of what the quality
>> would be like with a 1.5MB DSL connection?
>
> Rumor has it (again) that Netflix suggests 3mb as a minimum,
> but they don't quote that on their site.

Well, to be an optimist, maybe I can sell her on the extra charge for the
7mb upgrade Qwest is offering as part of the deal ;-)

--
Will Honea