From: Pd on
What are people using to display computer content on TV?

Last night I saw a PCWorld ad where some bloke said they showed him how
to stream stuff from his PC - wirelessly. That obviously requires the
use of some wifi enabled box next to the TV - any suggestions that
people are using?

Alternatively, what about a long cable from the computer (it's about 5m
from the TV). I guess I need a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor, then a 5m
HDMI-HDMI cable. Or do I need a mini-DVI to DVI, then a 5m DVI to HDMI
cable? And does the Mini-DVI port pass audio through to the HDMI
interface, or does that have to go through the audio out?

What other gotchas are there?

--
Pd
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 13:31:55 +0000, peterd.news(a)gmail.invalid (Pd)
wrote:

>What are people using to display computer content on TV?
>
>Last night I saw a PCWorld ad where some bloke said they showed him how
>to stream stuff from his PC - wirelessly. That obviously requires the
>use of some wifi enabled box next to the TV - any suggestions that
>people are using?

As far as I know, you can only to SD TV this way. The reviews of one
kit on Amazon are middlingly positive:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/URC-9050-PC-Media-Kit/dp/B000OIRGUU

>Alternatively, what about a long cable from the computer (it's about 5m
>from the TV). I guess I need a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor, then a 5m
>HDMI-HDMI cable. Or do I need a mini-DVI to DVI, then a 5m DVI to HDMI
>cable? And does the Mini-DVI port pass audio through to the HDMI
>interface, or does that have to go through the audio out?
>
>What other gotchas are there?

The audio is not combined, so you either need a sanely priced
DVI+audio to HDMI converter (and if you find one, post it here!), or a
cheap DVI-HDMI and run the audio separately. That's about the only
trick here.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Don't drag me down to your level, meat." -- Red Robot #C-63
From: Matthew Sylvester on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> The audio is not combined, so you either need a sanely priced
> DVI+audio to HDMI converter (and if you find one, post it here!),

The pricing of the Kanex units are not too insane - reviewed here:
<http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/04/tuaw-review-kanex-hdmi-audio-adapter-wor
ks-fine-but-costs-ext/>
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 14:53:06 +0000, matthew.sylvester(a)gmail.com
(Matthew Sylvester) wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> The audio is not combined, so you either need a sanely priced
>> DVI+audio to HDMI converter (and if you find one, post it here!),
>
>The pricing of the Kanex units are not too insane - reviewed here:
><http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/04/tuaw-review-kanex-hdmi-audio-adapter-wor
>ks-fine-but-costs-ext/>

$70 isn't bad at all, the ones I'd seen before were more along the
�140 mark. I'm sure it's �70 in the UK though.

Annoying when a plain DVI-HDMI adapter costs �10. Bloody silly digital
audio physical standards...

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I love the way that Microsoft follows standards.
In much the same manner as fish follow migrating caribou."
From: Ric on
On 8 Nov, 13:31, peterd.n...(a)gmail.invalid (Pd) wrote:
> What are people using to display computer content on TV?
>
> Last night I saw a PCWorld ad where some bloke said they showed him how
> to stream stuff from his PC - wirelessly. That obviously requires the
> use of some wifi enabled box next to the TV - any suggestions that
> people are using?
>
> Alternatively, what about a long cable from the computer (it's about 5m
> from the TV). I guess I need a mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor, then a 5m
> HDMI-HDMI cable. Or do I need a mini-DVI to DVI, then a 5m DVI to HDMI
> cable? And does the Mini-DVI port pass audio through to the HDMI
> interface, or does that have to go through the audio out?
>
> What other gotchas are there?
>
> --
> Pd

I'm using an Xbox with XBMC on it to stream music/video off my server.
Last night I got around to trying the dv->HDMI adaptor I got off ebay
a month or two ago. Plugged into Macbook Pro, other end into TV,
borrowed the sky HD boxes' optical audio cable and plugged that into
the headphone jack on the Mac (I'd not realised that an optical
connector fits an 1/8th inch jack until recently) and that was pretty
good, too. Snow Leopard automagically detected my plasma TV, cloned
display to it, and asked if I wanted 720 or 1080 res. Pretty
satisfactory.

If I were looking for a new option I'd probably build an Intel Atom/
ION based HTPC, or get a Popcorn Hour box to do much the same.
Devil's in the details with HTPC - it not only has to "just work" it
also has to be quiet, operate with an IR remote, and generally be a
bit more well disciplined and appliance-like than a PC or a Mac
usually is...

<on this note, why would it be that VLC playes a downloaded HD avi
file much better than Quicktime? Lots of stuttering in QT, smooth as
anything in VLC. Flip4Mac issue or something?>