From: Dan on
Can anyone let me know if I can use an Apple Wireless Mouse (not the
Magic one) on a Windows XP system - mine seems to pair ok, but still
does not move the XP cursor. Or are Apple mice confined to Apple
equipment only ?

DM
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2009-11-08 10:03:11 +0000, Dan <dan> said:

> Can anyone let me know if I can use an Apple Wireless Mouse (not the
> Magic one) on a Windows XP system - mine seems to pair ok, but still
> does not move the XP cursor. Or are Apple mice confined to Apple
> equipment only ?

Wouldn't you need to install drivers? Apple probably include some with
Boot Camp, so they may exist as a separate download.

--
Chris

From: Justin C on
In article <NOmdneq01uz9CmvXnZ2dnUVZ8uydnZ2d(a)bt.com>, Dan wrote:
> Can anyone let me know if I can use an Apple Wireless Mouse (not the
> Magic one) on a Windows XP system - mine seems to pair ok, but still
> does not move the XP cursor. Or are Apple mice confined to Apple
> equipment only ?

According to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Mighty_Mouse> "wireless
version is Mac-only"

However, Google also showed this, which looks more promising:
<http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071125024626AAebz11>

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 10:15:10 +0000, Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com>
wrote:

>On 2009-11-08 10:03:11 +0000, Dan <dan> said:
>
>> Can anyone let me know if I can use an Apple Wireless Mouse (not the
>> Magic one) on a Windows XP system - mine seems to pair ok, but still
>> does not move the XP cursor. Or are Apple mice confined to Apple
>> equipment only ?
>
>Wouldn't you need to install drivers? Apple probably include some with
>Boot Camp, so they may exist as a separate download.

Once bluetooth'ed to the PC it should move the cursor and left click
at least, with the standard XP driver. Right click I can't remember,
but the side buttons and pea functions only come available once the
Windows drivers are installed.

To get those, you'll need access to either a working Leopard machine,
or the OSX Leopard install disk. The disk has the drivers (just insert
it into a Windows box); or you can dig them out of the Boot Camp
Assistant on a running system.

Go find /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant, right click and
Show Package Contents. In here, go into Contents/Resources/ and
there'll be a DiskImage.dmg - either burn this to a CD using Disk
Utility, or mount it and copy the content out.

I've no idea where the same is in Snow Leopard - it's not as above...

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I'll never forget my first wife - drove me to drink. I'm
eternally grateful." - W. C. Fields
From: Dan on

> Go find /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant, right click and
> Show Package Contents. In here, go into Contents/Resources/ and
> there'll be a DiskImage.dmg - either burn this to a CD using Disk
> Utility, or mount it and copy the content out.

I have just looked in the above BCA of my Snow Leopard running system,
but alas there is no sign of a DiskImage.dmg, or indeed any .dmg file in it.

I do however still have my Leopard disc. However I am not running Boot
Camp - my Windows XP is on another PC entirely.