From: spodosaurus on
Hi guys,

I've got a problem I've not encountered before. I was given a 4-5 year
old PC to have a tinker with and the amount of dust in it was ungodly.
It had killed the video card fan, but a capacitor on the card was
already bulging and leaking so I replaced the card. Unfortunately,
there's still this hissing sound. I've stopped all the fans, even the
new graphics card one, one at a time to see if they were related -
they're not the cause. Then, while the side panel was off, I noticed
that when I scrolled with the mouse the hiss would fluctuate with each
notch on the mouse wheel! I can repeat this and it only occurs when a
window is actually scrolling, not when you just use the mouse wheel.
Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? The tops of the caps on
the mainboard all look good, and the sound is so noticeable even with
the case closed I'd imagine if it was a venting capacitor it would've
burnt out by now. I'm out of ideas! argh!

TIA,

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
From: Flasherly on
On Jun 12, 3:59 am, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've got a problem I've not encountered before. I was given a 4-5 year
> old PC to have a tinker with and the amount of dust in it was ungodly.
> It had killed the video card fan, but a capacitor on the card was
> already bulging and leaking so I replaced the card. Unfortunately,
> there's still this hissing sound. I've stopped all the fans, even the
> new graphics card one, one at a time to see if they were related -
> they're not the cause. Then, while the side panel was off, I noticed
> that when I scrolled with the mouse the hiss would fluctuate with each
> notch on the mouse wheel! I can repeat this and it only occurs when a
> window is actually scrolling, not when you just use the mouse wheel.
> Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? The tops of the caps on
> the mainboard all look good, and the sound is so noticeable even with
> the case closed I'd imagine if it was a venting capacitor it would've
> burnt out by now. I'm out of ideas! argh!

Quiet room and at least one good ear. Long enough piece of wood, a
dowel, to place against suspect components and the bone behind your
ear. I've also used long screwdrivers and a mechanic
stethoscopes...carefully.
From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 12, 10:59 am, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
> they're not the cause. Then, while the side panel was off, I noticed
> that when I scrolled with the mouse the hiss would fluctuate with each
> notch on the mouse wheel! I can repeat this and it only occurs when a
> window is actually scrolling, not when you just use the mouse wheel.

Cool. That doesn't sound like a bug, that sounds like a feature.

I would try and understand the mechanism behind this and then patent
it. You never know...

RL