From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) on
On 6/11/2010 21:39, Scott wrote:
> Why is it that on some USB devices I have to install the driver before
> plugging in the device and others after? For example: Hauppauge TV
> tuner, plug in device then install driver and the other way around for a
> M-Audio audio interface.

I would always plug in the device first, then install driver. Good
drivers should not need that extra step. Poor driver would remember the
port at which the device was plugged in!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34
From: SteveH on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
> On 6/11/2010 21:39, Scott wrote:
>> Why is it that on some USB devices I have to install the driver
>> before plugging in the device and others after? For example:
>> Hauppauge TV tuner, plug in device then install driver and the other
>> way around for a M-Audio audio interface.
>
> I would always plug in the device first, then install driver.

Except that doesn't always work. Anyway, what's wrong with just following
the instructions?

--
SteveH

From: RayLopez99 on
On Jun 13, 12:29 am, "SteveH" <steve.houghREM...(a)THISblueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

> > I would always plug in the device first, then install driver.
>
> Except that doesn't always work. Anyway, what's wrong with just following
> the instructions?

I had a Ethernet card recently that suggested, for Linux, a very
complicated setup, but luckily Linux (Damn Small Linux) recognized the
Ethernet card without the need for software drivers--contrary to the
instruction manual.

BTW I don't recommend Linux for a power user, but just saying.

RL