From: Mac Cool on
I have an X2 5400+ system I'm looking to upgrade and I'm considering the
following chips: i3 530, Phenom II X4 940. Pricewise they are similar with
the Phenom having the performance edge. But over the years I've built a
lot of AMD based systems and I've experienced a lot of quirky problems,
overheating that I couldn't cure, bios incompatibilities with certain
products (not AMDs fault but still). So I'd really like to switch over to
intel this time around as I've had fewer problems with them in the past
but that Phenom chip is very tempting.

The X4 940 is an AM2+ socket, is that going to stick around for a while?
Will I have upgrade options in a couple of years or is AM3 the way to go?
The intel IGA socket definitely looks to have upgrade potential over the
next year or two. With my current board there is really no cpu upgrade
that will give me a significant performance gain, I want to avoid that on
my next system if possible.

Do the Phenoms, specifically the X4 940, have any issues with heat?
Any motherboard weirdness to worry about?

I'm not particulary interested in overclocking but I wouldn't rule it out
if I can edge it up without aftermarket cooling.

I think what I want is a really good reason to stick with my intel plan.
As the years go by I tend to have less patience with hassles down the
road.

Thanks,
Rick