From: TVeblen on
I see a lot of VGA cables being sold on Newegg that do not have all 15
pins. It looks like Pin 9 is missing. Wikipedia says that Pin 9 is
KEY/PWR (+5V). I don't know what that means.

Does it make any difference whether you have all 15 pins or not?
From: Sjouke Burry on
TVeblen wrote:
> I see a lot of VGA cables being sold on Newegg that do not have all 15
> pins. It looks like Pin 9 is missing. Wikipedia says that Pin 9 is
> KEY/PWR (+5V). I don't know what that means.
>
> Does it make any difference whether you have all 15 pins or not?
Be glad that it is missing.
I blew 5-6 ground traces in an expensive computer.
The vga display had 5 volt without current limit on pin 9,
and the computer had it connected to ground.
As luck would have it, I found the traces,and could re-wire them.
Thee is no known benefit for the presence of pin 9.
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:09:35 -0400, TVeblen <Killtherobots(a)hal.net>
put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Do I have any pressing reason why I need a "true" 15-pin VGA cable?

I extended my existing 15-pin cable (by adding a KVM box) with a cable
from an old pre-EDID VGA monitor. I used the INF supplied with the
monitor and all is well.

- Franc Zabkar
From: Paul on
TVeblen wrote:

> Today I attempted to install the INF file "driver" from the monitor's
> CD. No go. (Monitor properties > Driver > Update Driver). "Windows
> cannot update this driver".
>
> So if pin 9 has nothing to do with the symptom (monitor no longer
> recognized as 2007FP after replacing the VGA cable when it was before),
> does that mean that the cable is potentially defective?
>
> Next step with be that monitor utility.

This is a copy of the INF for my monitor. I don't really
see how this installation is dependent on hardware detection.
I suspect it is just adding stuff to the registry. I think I
right-clicked on this file, and did an "install" from the popup.

******* nl1765.inf *******
[SourceDisksFiles]
nl1765.icm=1

; Manufacturers
;-------------------------------------------------
[Manufacturer]
%NMD%=NMD

; Manufacturer sections
;-------------------------------------------------
[NMD]
%NEC-LCD1765%=NEC-LCD1765.Install, Monitor\NEC6621

; Install Sections
;-------------------------------------------------
[NEC-LCD1765.Install]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=NEC-LCD1765.AddReg, 1280, DPMS
CopyFiles=NEC-LCD1765.CopyFiles

; AddReg & DelReg sections
;-------------------------------------------------
[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
HKR,MODES
HKR,,MaxResolution
HKR,,DPMS
HKR,,ICMProfile

; Pre-defined AddReg sections
[1280]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1280,1024"

[DPMS]
HKR,,DPMS,,1

; Model AddReg sections
[NEC-LCD1765.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"31.0-83.0,56.0-75.0,+,+"
HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"nl1765.icm"

; CopyFiles section
;-------------------------------------------------
[NEC-LCD1765.CopyFiles]
nl1765.ICM

; User visible strings
;-------------------------------------------------
[Strings]
MonitorClassName="Monitor"
NMD="NEC-Mitsubishi"
NMDDiskLabel="NEC-Mitsubishi Monitor Installation Disk"
NEC-LCD1765="NEC LCD1765"
*******

The most amazing thing about my monitor ? It still works.
I expected inverter or backlight problems before now,
but so far, no complaints. I'd say the contrast ratio has
shifted a bit over the years, and it's a bit harder to read.

Paul