From: Steve Achelis on
I'm using VS 2008 w/MFC (develping under Vista), I can't get the exe's
large icon to display.

I copied the *.ico file from an MFC sample project (which displays
correct in the sample). When I view the icon from VS in my project, I
correctly see the "M-F-C" logo in 13 different sizes and modes, all
the way up to 256x256 32 bit, PNG. However, when I compile my app and
look at the exe's icon from Windows Explorer, the icon is only
displayed when I choose "Small Icons", "List", or "Details" (i.e.,
16x16). All other sizes display a blank white box (square, no turned
corner like a doc icon). Seems simple. I'm stumped.

I've tried setting the IDR_MAINFRAME icon to several different *.ico
files and it is the define that is used:

IDR_MAINFRAME ICON "res\\TestIcon.ico"

I set IDR_MAINFRAME in my header file as (I've heard it has to be the
lowest numbered icon; it is):

#define IDR_MAINFRAME 145

I pass IDR_MAINFRAME when creating the frame:

pDocTemplate = new CSingleDocTemplate(
IDR_MAINFRAME,
RUNTIME_CLASS(CxxxDoc),
RUNTIME_CLASS(CMainFrame),
RUNTIME_CLASS(CxxxView));

Thanks for any insights. This has had me stumped off and on for weeks!
From: David Ching on
"Steve Achelis" <info(a)RescueRigger.com> wrote in message
> I'm using VS 2008 w/MFC (develping under Vista), I can't get the exe's
> large icon to display.
>
> I copied the *.ico file from an MFC sample project (which displays
> correct in the sample). When I view the icon from VS in my project, I
> correctly see the "M-F-C" logo in 13 different sizes and modes, all
> the way up to 256x256 32 bit, PNG. However, when I compile my app and
> look at the exe's icon from Windows Explorer, the icon is only
> displayed when I choose "Small Icons", "List", or "Details" (i.e.,
> 16x16). All other sizes display a blank white box (square, no turned
> corner like a doc icon). Seems simple. I'm stumped.
>
> I've tried setting the IDR_MAINFRAME icon to several different *.ico
> files and it is the define that is used:
>
> IDR_MAINFRAME ICON "res\\TestIcon.ico"
>
> I set IDR_MAINFRAME in my header file as (I've heard it has to be the
> lowest numbered icon; it is):
>
> #define IDR_MAINFRAME 145

Explorer uses the *lowest numbered* icon in your app, so make sure there are
no other icons in your resource file numbered lower than 145.

I highly recommend you create your icon using Axialis Icon Workshop. The
full version (not free) is great. They also have a free Lite version that
plugs into Visual Studio 2008.

http://www.axialis.com/download/iwlite.html

-- David