From: ~BD~ on

news:ht90l8029m2(a)news3.newsguy.com...
| From: "~BD~" <.BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk>
|

||| Are you using Avira AntiVir ?
|
|| Yes, David, I am.
|
|| The said key *was* removed in 'safe' mode using CCleaner.
|
| Yeah, it BELONGED to Avira and shouldn't have been removed.
|
| Thus the problem of so-called Registry cleaning.

Interesting!

Everything still seems to be working.

Is there something specific I should check now?

--
BD

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "~BD~" <.BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk>

||| Yes, David, I am.

||| The said key *was* removed in 'safe' mode using CCleaner.

|| Yeah, it BELONGED to Avira and shouldn't have been removed.

|| Thus the problem of so-called Registry cleaning.

| Interesting!

| Everything still seems to be working.

| Is there something specific I should check now?

No.

The key you deleted is for the internal use of AntiVir and its function is not published.
However there was NEVER a "need" to remove it and that's what is important here.

You didn't ask "what is it" and "should I delete it". You just posted you couldn't remove
it and wanted to.

In this case the result was relatively benign. The result *could* have been more
detrimental and that is why so-called Registry cleaning is not suggested and is frowned
upon.

--
Dave

From: ~BD~ on

"ASCII" <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote in message

| Find it in regedit, right click the part on the left side of the bar,
then
| permissions, then when you adjust that you should be able to delete
it.

Thank you - but it didn't work like that!

I deleted in 'safe mode' though.

--
Dave

From: Max Wachtel on
On22-May-2010 in the land of alt.privacy.spyware,~BD~ blurted out this
little ditty:

> | From: "~BD~" <.BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk>

> > > Yes, David, I am.
> >
> > > The said key was removed in 'safe' mode using CCleaner.
> >
> > Yeah, it BELONGED to Avira and shouldn't have been removed.
> >
> > Thus the problem of so-called Registry cleaning.
>
> Interesting!
>
> Everything still seems to be working.
>
> Is there something specific I should check now?

Have you ever heard the expression "leave well enough alone"?

google for RegSeeker. It will find lots of things for you to mess up!

Now-google "restoring the registry". Learn how to make a registry
backup and how to restore your system using it. Or just give your pc to
someone who doesn't have one and use your mac.
--
Virus Removal Instructions
http://sites.google.com/site/keepingwindowsclean/home
From: ~BD~ on

"Max Wachtel" <maxpro4u(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
| On22-May-2010 in the land of alt.privacy.spyware,~BD~ blurted out this
| little ditty:
|
| Have you ever heard the expression "leave well enough alone"?

I have.

That doesn't satisfy my curiosity though!

| google for RegSeeker. It will find lots of things for you to mess up!

Yup - but I don't do that .............. *now*!

| Now-google "restoring the registry". Learn how to make a registry
| backup and how to restore your system using it. Or just give your pc
| someone who doesn't have one and use your mac.

It's good to know that you are getting to know me, Max!

I sure miss my iMac when I'm away from home on my boat!

--
Dave