From: David Kaye on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Yeah, it BELONGED to Avira and shouldn't have been removed.
>Thus the problem of so-called Registry cleaning.

Amen. To reiterate: The only registry cleaner I trust is CCleaner. The rest
truly frighten me.

From: David Kaye on
ASCII <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>Find it in regedit, right click the part on the left side of the bar, then
>permissions, then when you adjust that you should be able to delete it.

It is never good to delete a registry key unless you know EXACTLY what it
does. Removing just one wrong key can leave your machine unbootable or can
cause other havoc.

From: ~BD~ on

"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
| ASCII <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote:
|
| >Find it in regedit, right click the part on the left side of the bar,
then
| >permissions, then when you adjust that you should be able to delete
it.

| It is never good to delete a registry key unless you know EXACTLY what
it
| does. Removing just one wrong key can leave your machine unbootable
or can
| cause other havoc.

That sounds like a good premise, David Kaye!

Sometimes, though, it is interesting to experiment! :)

BD

From: David Kaye on
harmf(a)qrwqt.com wrote:

>The only cleaning I do is after an uninstall and reboot, I go through
>the registry looking entries of the uninstalled program. Even that can
>lead to a problem when finding entries which contain the proper
>string, [....]

Also, what many people don't know is that there are counters that make note of
how many times particular DLLs are used in the system, since Windows
efficiency depends on reusing DLLs. http://www.castrocountyfair.org/ If the
count is wrong then an uninstaller later may remove a critical DLL which is
also used in another program.

>Screwing with your registry is good way for ignorant people
>like myself to get in worse trouble by far than having some junk in
>it.

The thing about it is that the registry is going to be efficient if a thorough
defrag is done from time to time. So there's really nothing to be gained by
"cleaning" it.