From: Dell Christopher on
WinXP MCE

When I booted my computer, I got an abbreviated Advanced Start-up menu: Safe
Mode, SM with Networking, Last Known Good Config, and Start Windows
Normally. None of these options work, and the computer just reboots right
back into this menu.

I've removed the hard drive and connected it to another working WinXP
computer. I then ran chkdsk: r, AVG 9.0, Malwarebytes and everything is
clean. Is there something else I can try, short of a reformat, to get this
back up and running?

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

From: Jose on
On Feb 17, 4:45 pm, "Dell Christopher" <dell...(a)aim.com> wrote:
> WinXP MCE
>
> When I booted my computer, I got an abbreviated Advanced Start-up menu: Safe
> Mode, SM with Networking, Last Known Good Config, and Start Windows
> Normally.  None of these options work, and the computer just reboots right
> back into this menu.
>
> I've removed the hard drive and connected it to another working WinXP
> computer.  I then ran chkdsk: r, AVG 9.0, Malwarebytes and everything is
> clean.  Is there something else I can try, short of a reformat, to get this
> back up and running?
>
> All feedback is appreciated.  Thanks!

What do you think happened between the last time it booted properly
and this problem?

Were you troubleshooting a problem prior to this issue, what was the
problem and what troubleshooting steps were performed?

From: Rob on
You could try to clone the old hard drive onto a new hard drive. Often times
this will solve the problem. You can do this with Norton Ghost or the free
program clonezilla. With clonezilla you should make sure the new hard drive
is larger than the old one or you will not be able to clone it. With Norton
you can clone from a large to a smaller.

Be careful doing this! Don't accidentally overwrite the old hard drive. Make
sure you know which drive is the source and which is the destination!

If the old hard drive is near 5 years old it would be wise to do this
anyways. You should also notice an improvement in the computers performance
if this is the case.

You should know how to burn ISOs, this is needed to make a clonezilla cd.
You can use infarecorder to burn them.

From: Daave on
Dell Christopher wrote:
> WinXP MCE
>
> When I booted my computer, I got an abbreviated Advanced Start-up
> menu: Safe Mode, SM with Networking, Last Known Good Config, and
> Start Windows Normally. None of these options work, and the computer
> just reboots right back into this menu.
>
> I've removed the hard drive and connected it to another working WinXP
> computer. I then ran chkdsk: r, AVG 9.0, Malwarebytes and everything
> is clean. Is there something else I can try, short of a reformat, to
> get this back up and running?
>
> All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Is this the same PC that was struck with "Personal Security" spyware
mentioned in this post?:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.privacy.spyware/msg/c3e12c3c0e920333?hl=en

From: Dell Christopher on
No, I ended up reformatting that hard drive. In this case, since the
troubleshooting I've done so far has not solved the problem, it's looking
like I'm going down that reformat road again...

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> Is this the same PC that was struck with "Personal Security" spyware
> mentioned in this post?:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.privacy.spyware/msg/c3e12c3c0e920333?hl=en
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2