From: Christopher Muto on
shellyfdelete(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:15:13 -0500, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> According to Dell's marketing machine, Studio XPS desktops have "premium
>> materials and XPS Support."
>>
>> 1- What is premium about the "premium materials"? Are we talking about
>> polished brass power buttons?
>>
>> 2- What is special about "XPS support"?
>>
>> Daddy
>
> My XPS 710 is built like a tank. <snip>

it is also the size of a tank and as loud as a tank... the main
distinction of the xps over other models was that dell sold it with high
end video cards and processors not offered in other models making it
attractive to gammers that did not want to tinker with hardware
themselves. the xps was developed to compete in the high end market as
it was the only segment of the market remaining that had significant
profit margins. that market space was dominated alienware. ultimately
dell purchased alienware and i am not sure why dell still keeps both the
xps and the alienware brands alive.

From: Justin Credible on
"Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> shellyfdelete(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>
> it is also the size of a tank and as loud as a tank... the main
> distinction of the xps over other models was that dell sold it with high
> end video cards and processors not offered in other models making it
> attractive to gammers that did not want to tinker with hardware
> themselves. the xps was developed to compete in the high end market as it
> was the only segment of the market remaining that had significant profit
> margins. that market space was dominated alienware. ultimately dell
> purchased alienware and i am not sure why dell still keeps both the xps
> and the alienware brands alive.

Well my XPS 430 is the same case design as my Dimension 9200 with the
exception that the front bezel on the XPS is finished in a glossy piano
black (which attracts fingerprints like eBay does Nigerian scammers).

Your high end video card/processor observation is correct; I'm running a
Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz with a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 3870 x 2 and it wasnt possible to
build any other pc on Dell's website with that combo (at the time, 12 months
ago).

Ironically, the XPS 430 (and others) have disappeared from Dell's website
here in the UK so maybe Dell are scaling that side of their business down?

--
An inquiry has been lanched after Van Halen's song "Jump" was played over
police radios whilst officers negotiated with a man threatening to leap to