From: Daddy on
According to Dell's marketing machine, Studio XPS desktops have "premium
materials and XPS Support."

1- What is premium about the "premium materials"? Are we talking about
polished brass power buttons?

2- What is special about "XPS support"?

Daddy
From: shellyfdelete on
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:15:13 -0500, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>According to Dell's marketing machine, Studio XPS desktops have "premium
>materials and XPS Support."
>
>1- What is premium about the "premium materials"? Are we talking about
>polished brass power buttons?
>
>2- What is special about "XPS support"?
>
>Daddy
My XPS 710 is built like a tank. Very heavy and large. Large
difference between the XPS and other desktops, inside and out. After
the intitial turn on, my XPS is extremely quiet.
The working components are the same as other desktops, however, they
are whatever y'all choose to have Dell install.
The support goes to some other area of Dell, still off shore, still
extremely bad. There is a seperate section on the Dell web site for
XPS, no advantage in my opinion.
hth
From: Daddy on
shellyfdelete(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 17:15:13 -0500, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> According to Dell's marketing machine, Studio XPS desktops have "premium
>> materials and XPS Support."
>>
>> 1- What is premium about the "premium materials"? Are we talking about
>> polished brass power buttons?
>>
>> 2- What is special about "XPS support"?
>>
>> Daddy
> My XPS 710 is built like a tank. Very heavy and large. Large
> difference between the XPS and other desktops, inside and out. After
> the intitial turn on, my XPS is extremely quiet.
> The working components are the same as other desktops, however, they
> are whatever y'all choose to have Dell install.
> The support goes to some other area of Dell, still off shore, still
> extremely bad. There is a seperate section on the Dell web site for
> XPS, no advantage in my opinion.
> hth

Thanks for the info. :-)

Daddy
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> According to Dell's marketing machine, Studio XPS desktops have
> "premium materials and XPS Support."

> 1- What is premium about the "premium materials"?

The difference now is the quality of the components as compared to the
more entry level machines (Inspiron desktops, etc) is much better.

It didn't used to be that way when the Dimension was Dell's all
purpose desktop. Even the lowly Dim2400 was pretty well built (and can
be a very nice machine).

> 2- What is special about "XPS support"?

It's probably the same support that business customers get--from
someone situated in the US or Canada. And if I'm remembering things
properly, XPS customers may be able to have parts delivered that they
can install by themselves.

William
From: Daddy on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> According to Dell's marketing machine, Studio XPS desktops have
>> "premium materials and XPS Support."
>
>> 1- What is premium about the "premium materials"?
>
> The difference now is the quality of the components as compared to the
> more entry level machines (Inspiron desktops, etc) is much better.
>
> It didn't used to be that way when the Dimension was Dell's all
> purpose desktop. Even the lowly Dim2400 was pretty well built (and can
> be a very nice machine).
>
>> 2- What is special about "XPS support"?
>
> It's probably the same support that business customers get--from
> someone situated in the US or Canada. And if I'm remembering things
> properly, XPS customers may be able to have parts delivered that they
> can install by themselves.
>
> William

Thanks, William.

Daddy