From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Helpful input is very much appreciated.

It's not terribly uncommon for a modern laptop to run hot, especially
if you have the lid shut. What processor and video hardware does this
system have?

If I'm remembering things correctly, the Studio XPS is one of these
"high performance" laptops. As such, I would not be surprised to find
it running very hot.

I think it will likely be fine, though I would recommend leaving the
screen at least slightly open so that heat can come out. Also, check
your system fans. Blow clean, dry air backwards through the
"radiators" that you can see from outside the machine, and clean the
fans that feed them. These plug up quickly on many laptops and if they
do, hotter operation and subsequent overheating are the result.
Eventually this will do some damage after the machine reaches the
stage where it starts to shut down.

I don't know if the new Dell laptops still work the same way, but you
may wish to use i8kfangui (search for it) to force the fans on when
using the computer in this way. This may also help keep things cooler.

William