From: Mike on
A few months ago I bought a new Inspiron 1545. I ordered it with a stronger
processor, more memory & a larger HDD. I overlooked the video chip. I came
standard with an Intel chip. My question is is the chip replaceable, in
other words can I order an ATI chip and swap them out? The last laptop I
opened up was an old 5150, which had an ATI chip, but I never saw anything
on the motherboard indicating this.

From: Victor on
On Aug 10, 12:06 pm, "Mike" <w...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> A few months ago I bought a new Inspiron 1545.  I ordered it with a stronger
> processor, more memory & a larger HDD.  I overlooked the video chip.  I came
> standard with an Intel chip.  My question is is the chip replaceable, in
> other words can I order an ATI chip and swap them out?  The last laptop I
> opened up was an old 5150, which had an ATI chip, but I never saw anything
> on the motherboard indicating this.

The video processor is soldered to the motherboard and can not be
replaced or "swapped out".If you want better you will have to sell the
1545 and buy another.
There is also a ViDock Family of graphic card adapters that work with
pci-express video cards to improve laptop video.Install a pci-express
card into a Vidock then plug the Vidock into the expresscard slot on
your laptop and presto you have great video.I believe a review is at
Toms' Hardware.

http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock
From: Mike on

"Victor" <v25hall(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Aug 10, 12:06 pm, "Mike" <w...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> A few months ago I bought a new Inspiron 1545. I ordered it with a
>> stronger
>> processor, more memory & a larger HDD. I overlooked the video chip. I
>> came
>> standard with an Intel chip. My question is is the chip replaceable, in
>> other words can I order an ATI chip and swap them out? The last laptop I
>> opened up was an old 5150, which had an ATI chip, but I never saw
>> anything
>> on the motherboard indicating this.
>
> The video processor is soldered to the motherboard and can not be
> replaced or "swapped out".If you want better you will have to sell the
> 1545 and buy another.
> There is also a ViDock Family of graphic card adapters that work with
> pci-express video cards to improve laptop video.Install a pci-express
> card into a Vidock then plug the Vidock into the expresscard slot on
> your laptop and presto you have great video.I believe a review is at
> Toms' Hardware.
>
> http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock

Thanks for the info. Too much trouble, though.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.