From: Tim Streater on
On 02/03/2010 18:23, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
> Nick Keighley wrote:

>>> Well, when I used VI it was because there wasn;t anything
>>> better on machine. Who said: VI editor that beeps and corrupts you
>>> files?
>>> Once I encrypted my source code by accident with that thing.
>>

>> "The Real Programmer wants a "you asked for it, you got it"
>> text editor--complicated, cryptic, powerful, unforgiving,
>> dangerous. TECO, to be precise."
> Heh, I prefer Joe Allen's editor and using it for development ;)
>
> http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net/index.html
>
> Best editor out there IMO! ;)

Revolting. Looks like a DOS editor. When was this written, 1980?

--
Tim

"That the freedom of speech and debates or proceedings in Parliament
ought not to be impeached or questioned in any court or place out of
Parliament"

Bill of Rights 1689
From: Joe Wright on
Tim Streater wrote:
> On 02/03/2010 18:23, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
>> Nick Keighley wrote:

>>> "The Real Programmer wants a "you asked for it, you got it"
>>> text editor--complicated, cryptic, powerful, unforgiving,
>>> dangerous. TECO, to be precise."
>> Heh, I prefer Joe Allen's editor and using it for development ;)
>>
>> http://joe-editor.sourceforge.net/index.html
>>
>> Best editor out there IMO! ;)
>
> Revolting. Looks like a DOS editor. When was this written, 1980?

It's WordStar for Unix. It's well written and functional. Why would you be
revolted by it? What's wrong with a DOS editor? 1980 was a really great
year. Get a grip.

My most used editor on Windows is EDIT.COM and on Unix of course, vi. I do
use the GUI IDE from Visual FoxPro but normally write C and xBASE from the
command line with EDIT.

--
Joe Wright
"If you rob Peter to pay Paul you can depend on the support of Paul."
From: Tim Streater on
On 02/03/2010 22:27, Joe Wright wrote:
> Tim Streater wrote:

>> Revolting. Looks like a DOS editor. When was this written, 1980?
>>
> It's WordStar for Unix. It's well written and functional.

Look, I could edit the bits on the disk with a bar magnet and a
magnifying glass. But why would I want to?

> Why would you be revolted by it? What's wrong with a DOS editor?
> 1980 was a really great year. Get a grip.

Why make life difficult for yourself?

> My most used editor on Windows is EDIT.COM and on Unix of course, vi.

Fortunately I don't deal with Windows. On OS X, I use vi only where I
have to. Hmmm, vi, that has *modes* doesn't it, such as you can't use
the arrow keys while in insert mode. I've used emacs twice (more or less
by accident each time). On both occasions it took me 20 mins to find out
how to quit it.

> I do use the GUI IDE from Visual FoxPro but normally write C and
> xBASE from the command line with EDIT.

Odd. You'll be using TECO next. I expect an editor, as a mere tool, not
to get in my way and expect me to have to "learn" it.

More than 20 years ago, the first unix boxes came in the door where I
was working. As a longtime user of VM/CMS I thought you had to spend
time learning how to use editors. The guys were all debating about which
editor should become the standard for everyone learn and use - vi,
emacs, jove, ...

Since they were arguing and I had work to do, I got hold of Notepad and
started using that (this was on a Sun box). Some six months later the
guys were still arguing about which one would be the "right" one. I
think they considered this important as they expected to have to give
classes/tutorials on the "chosen" editor. I then suddenly realised that,
in fact, *I* was using the right editor. It had taken me 5 mins to get a
quick mental image of which commands were on which menus and get on with
my work. No classes needed.

I guess they must still be arguing and that this argument has now spread
into c.l.c. I can't see the point of clunky keyboard-based editors on
24x80 little windows. A bit like paper tape and teletypes. Marvels in
their day, or course, but museum pieces now.

From: Branimir Maksimovic on
Tim Streater wrote:

> I guess they must still be arguing and that this argument has now spread
> into c.l.c. I can't see the point of clunky keyboard-based editors on
> 24x80 little windows. A bit like paper tape and teletypes. Marvels in
> their day, or course, but museum pieces now.

Well you have to have some editor on server when you connect with ssh.
For me it's either vi or joe. I can compile joe in a second
and make it functional when I need it;)
But Im used to wordstar from CP/M so it is more familiar to me
then vi.
Also I used Lyrix word processor on at&t unix to write some serious text
processing work.
I had only 24x80 terminals, had to tweak termcap a bit.
On VOS there was Emacs.

Greets
From: Ben Bacarisse on
Tim Streater <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> writes:
<snip>
> More than 20 years ago, the first unix boxes came in the door where I
> was working. As a longtime user of VM/CMS I thought you had to spend
> time learning how to use editors. The guys were all debating about
> which editor should become the standard for everyone learn and use -
> vi, emacs, jove, ...
>
> Since they were arguing and I had work to do, I got hold of Notepad
> and started using that (this was on a Sun box). Some six months later
> the guys were still arguing about which one would be the "right"
> one. I think they considered this important as they expected to have
> to give classes/tutorials on the "chosen" editor. I then suddenly
> realised that, in fact, *I* was using the right editor.

Everyone comes to the same realisation sooner or later (unless they are
being deliberately masochistic).

> It had taken
> me 5 mins to get a quick mental image of which commands were on which
> menus and get on with my work. No classes needed.
>
> I guess they must still be arguing and that this argument has now
> spread into c.l.c.

They were arguing about what editor *other* people should use and that
is widely thought to be an argument that never ends. :-)

<snip>
--
Ben.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last