From: Sanjay Kulkarni on
What is the meaning of the expression includes within <> before the
definition of a sub?

eg

<some expression> Public Sub nameOfSub()

- Sanjay Kulkarni.
From: Jason Keats on
Sanjay Kulkarni wrote:
> What is the meaning of the expression includes within <> before the
> definition of a sub?
>
> eg
>
> <some expression> Public Sub nameOfSub()
>
> - Sanjay Kulkarni.

Open up Visual Studio, click on Sub, then press F1.

You will be presented with a help page displaying (depending on the
version of VS you're using) something like:

[ <attrlist> ] [{ Overloads | Overrides | Overridable |
NotOverridable | MustOverride | Shadows | Shared }]
[{ Public | Protected | Friend | Protected Friend | Private }]
Sub name [(arglist)] [ Implements interface.definedname ]
[ statements ]
[ Exit Sub ]
[ statements ]
End Sub

or

[ <attributelist> ] [Partial] [ accessmodifier ] [ proceduremodifiers ]
[ Shared ] [ Shadows ]
Sub name [ (Of typeparamlist) ] [ (parameterlist) ] [ Implements
implementslist | Handles eventlist ]
[ statements ]
[ Exit Sub ]
[ statements ]
End Sub

I hope that helps.
From: Herfried K. Wagner [MVP] on
"Sanjay Kulkarni" <sanganaksakha(a)gmail.com> schrieb:
> What is the meaning of the expression includes within <> before the
> definition of a sub?
>
> eg
>
> <some expression> Public Sub nameOfSub()

It's called attribute. The VB documentation contains more information on
attributes. All the attributes defined in the .NET Framework are described
there too (just place the caret on the attribute and press the F1 key).

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>

From: Scott M. on
The are markers that delinate a compiler "attribute", which is basically a
special instruction just for the compiler. They are a way to mark, not only
a Sub (you can use them on almost all class members), with extra information
that the compiler needs to know.

-Scott

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2009-09-13, Scott M. <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
> The are markers that delinate a compiler "attribute", which is basically a
> special instruction just for the compiler. They are a way to mark, not only
> a Sub (you can use them on almost all class members), with extra information
> that the compiler needs to know.
>
> -Scott

Hmmm.. While there are some attributes that affect compile time behavior (for
example, ObsoleteAttribute) - most attributes are processed at runtime. They
are markers that can be used by other classes to gain additional information
about the class, property, or method. For instance, the attributes that you
can place on the properties of a class to influence the behavior of the
PropertyGrid.

One place I use them is for mapping object properties to fields in a dataset
at runtime - sort of a simplified ORM tool.

--
Tom Shelton