From: AccessNewbie on
When I add a record in a subdatasheet the record appears in the master table,
but the amounts do not "update" the master table amounts or the totals on the
master table datasheet. Do I need to manually update the amounts in the
master table? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!
From: S.Clark on
Without knowing your table structure, I could only offer a random guess.

But, Access not provide for calculated fields, like SQL Server does, so
there is no ability to enter a record into a table and have something in the
table auto-update to something else. This would require custom coding at
best.

Provide some more info, and we'll get you there.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 07:01:02 -0800, AccessNewbie
<AccessNewbie(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I add a record in a subdatasheet the record appears in the master table,
>but the amounts do not "update" the master table amounts or the totals on the
>master table datasheet. Do I need to manually update the amounts in the
>master table? What am I doing wrong?
>Thanks!

Using subdatasheets and tables to interact with your data, for one thing;
assuming that totals should appear in a table at all, for another!

Use a Form with Subforms; you can put subtotals on the subform's Footer or
Header, and calculate them automatically on the fly. Don't store them at all:
Storing derived data such as this in your table accomplishes three things: it
wastes disk space; it wastes time (almost any calculation will be MUCH faster
than a disk fetch); and most importantly, it risks data corruption. If one of
the underlying fields is subsequently edited, you will have data in your table
WHICH IS WRONG, and no automatic way to detect that fact.

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: David W. Fenton on
John W. Vinson <jvinson(a)STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 07:01:02 -0800, AccessNewbie
><AccessNewbie(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>When I add a record in a subdatasheet the record appears in the
>>master table, but the amounts do not "update" the master table
>>amounts or the totals on the master table datasheet. Do I need to
>>manually update the amounts in the master table? What am I doing
>>wrong?
>
> Using subdatasheets and tables to interact with your data, for one
> thing; assuming that totals should appear in a table at all, for
> another!

Subdatasheets are actually quite a useful feature, but should only
be used in datasheet forms/subforms. I think the correct avoidance
of tables by most experienced developers and the performance
problems with the default subdatasheet properties has caused a lot
of Access developers to fail to appreciate what subdatasheets offer.
This is one that I think is very attractive as well as quite useful:

http://dfenton.com/DFA/examples/SubDatasheet.png

The client loves it and I think there's no similarly attractive way
to present the same data with methods available before we had
subdatasheets (except to make continuous forms look like
datasheets).

But of course, they should be used in FORMS, not standalone
tables/queries.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: De Jager on

"AccessNewbie" <AccessNewbie(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I add a record in a subdatasheet the record appears in the master
> table,
> but the amounts do not "update" the master table amounts or the totals on
> the
> master table datasheet. Do I need to manually update the amounts in the
> master table? What am I doing wrong?
> Thanks!

Pages: 1
Prev: A little SQL