From: Dustin Cook on
starwars <nonscrivetemi(a)tatooine.homelinux.net> wrote in

> (First of all, !Liarthos = Leythos.)
>
> (Here in 2007, Raid/Dustin Cook is caught trying to insert 'strange'
> code into another of his so-called programs, which are little more

strange code? It was 4 letters; a marker inside the executable. Not "code"
in any sense of the word; and nothing malicious about it either. The code
(drumroll please) was "FU4Q"; and had you read the thread you copy/pasted
from, you'd have understood it to be a cute message towards an old
associate of mine by the name of 4Q.

> than honey traps for the unwary and ignorant. Oh, but that doesn't
> mean he hasn't "changed". Right?)

Well, it tells me you don't know code from data from html... ad nausem.
But, then again, with your ranting; that doesn't really surprise me.

Btw, Remove-it is a plagurised piece distributed by Christopher Butts; am I
to assume you support his activities with the snippit you pasted?

--
Feel free to steal this tagline!
From: Ant on
"Dustin Cook" wrote:

> starwars <nonscrivetemi(a)tatooine.homelinux.net> wrote:
>> (Here in 2007, Raid/Dustin Cook is caught trying to insert 'strange'
>> code into another of his so-called programs, which are little more
>
> strange code? It was 4 letters; a marker inside the executable. Not "code"
> in any sense of the word; and nothing malicious about it either. The code
> (drumroll please) was "FU4Q"; and had you read the thread you copy/pasted
> from, you'd have understood it to be a cute message towards an old
> associate of mine by the name of 4Q.

Since the anon remailer entity is quoting 4Q who is referring to
something I found, I'll chip in my tuppence worth.

[quote]
...(and very recently a
regular in alt.comp.virus "Ant"
discovered a very suspicious technique
used in the "blocked" ASIC malware,
namely this signature --> "0xDCFCBCCD")
[/quote]

Those hex bytes were used to overwrite the "UPX!" signature which
doesn't affect the execution in any way but prevents a stand-alone
unpacking by the UPX utility using the decompress switch.

You said, at the time, the obfuscation was a force of habit and used
to deter script-kiddy reverse engineering. I also said, after a
complete disassembly of the exe, that I hadn't found any malicious
code.

I didn't see an "FU4Q" string. Perhaps that was in a different
executable?

From: Dustin Cook on
"Ant" <not(a)home.today> wrote in

> "Dustin Cook" wrote:
>
>> starwars <nonscrivetemi(a)tatooine.homelinux.net> wrote:
>>> (Here in 2007, Raid/Dustin Cook is caught trying to insert 'strange'
>>> code into another of his so-called programs, which are little more
>>
>> strange code? It was 4 letters; a marker inside the executable. Not
>> "code" in any sense of the word; and nothing malicious about it
>> either. The code (drumroll please) was "FU4Q"; and had you read the
>> thread you copy/pasted from, you'd have understood it to be a cute
>> message towards an old associate of mine by the name of 4Q.
>
> Since the anon remailer entity is quoting 4Q who is referring to
> something I found, I'll chip in my tuppence worth.
>
> [quote]
> ...(and very recently a
> regular in alt.comp.virus "Ant"
> discovered a very suspicious technique
> used in the "blocked" ASIC malware,
> namely this signature --> "0xDCFCBCCD")
> [/quote]
>
> Those hex bytes were used to overwrite the "UPX!" signature which
> doesn't affect the execution in any way but prevents a stand-alone
> unpacking by the UPX utility using the decompress switch.
>
> You said, at the time, the obfuscation was a force of habit and used
> to deter script-kiddy reverse engineering. I also said, after a
> complete disassembly of the exe, that I hadn't found any malicious
> code.

That's correct.

> I didn't see an "FU4Q" string. Perhaps that was in a different
> executable?

One version of the executable; I think, although I could be wrong; v1.8
had that for 4Q. Again, just a UPx! header overwrite.. Not "code" as this
crazy individual seems to think.

--
Feel free to steal this tagline!