From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Assuming both are now listed in Add/Remove Programs:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Open IE (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and
allow the scan to complete | Confirm that neither update is offered (but
install any other critical security updates offered).

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
> Before continuing, I set the automatic updates to "deactivated".

Re-activate (re-enable) Automatic Updates now.

See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974417

(1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United
States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB974417).

Or you can...

Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following page for assistance:

your usual support contacts.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
YW. See "OPTION B" section of this related post of mine in this newsgroup:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/2a08a395fb538679