From: Marshall Barton on
cinnie wrote:

>My report has a column of numbers. Below the column, I would like to show a
>text box with the sum of these numbers. In Excel I would just use something
>like "= Sum(C3:C56)", but I don't know how to do this in Access. My real
>problem is that each report has a different number of rows.

Be careful here. The word "field" and the word "control"
mean two different things. This is one of those times when
the difference between a control bound to a field and a
record source field is very important.

When using an aggregate function (Count, Sum, etc), you must
use FIELDs from the report's record source table/query. You
can not use a control on the report.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
From: cinnie on
Yes, that was it! What I had already done was consistent with the good
advice from all of the experts that replied. But still nothing worked. You
identified the key point - that the numbers being summed were derived from an
aggregate function, so the underlying query's field had to be used, not the
report's control. Thanks for a great insight.
--
cinnie

From: Marshall Barton on
cinnie wrote:

>Yes, that was it! What I had already done was consistent with the good
>advice from all of the experts that replied. But still nothing worked. You
>identified the key point - that the numbers being summed were derived from an
>aggregate function, so the underlying query's field had to be used, not the
>report's control. Thanks for a great insight.

You're welcome, but I see that Duane was making the same
point earlier.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]