From: phirewire on
Hello,

I inherited a Sun Sun Fire v240 server with no dvd drive. I am trying
not to have to purchase a dvd drive for this server. I was lent a dvd
drive from a Sun Fire v480. Although the dvd drive from the v480 fit
into the v240, the v240 does not detect the drive. I was wondering the
problem is that sun made it so you can't mix and match dvd-rom drive
with other servers.

From the Sun's parts list, the v480 uses a Toshiba dvd-rom drive, and
the v240 uses a Panasonic dvd-rom drive.

Does anyone have any input on this? I am trying to install Solaris 10
on the Sun Fire v240. I am trying to avoid a jumpstart server and
buying a dvd rom drive.

Thank you,

Tho
From: ITguy on
> I inherited a Sun Sun Fire v240 server with no dvd drive. I am trying
> not to have to purchase a dvd drive for this server. I was lent a dvd
> drive from a Sun Fire v480. Although the dvd drive from the v480 fit
> into the v240, the v240 does not detect the drive. I was wondering the
> problem is that sun made it so you can't mix and match dvd-rom drive
> with other servers.
>
> From the Sun's parts list, the v480 uses a Toshiba dvd-rom drive, and
> the v240 uses a Panasonic dvd-rom drive.

The V480 drive is pretty old and may stumble on some DIY burned DVDs.
Do you have the Sun media of Solaris 10?

> Does anyone have any input on this? I am trying to install Solaris 10
> on the Sun Fire v240. I am trying to avoid a jumpstart server and
> buying a dvd rom drive.

Jumpstart isn't so bad... If you have a decent spec'd laptop, you can
put together a nice portable Jumpstart solution with VirtualBox.
From: Scott on
On Aug 12, 12:19 pm, phirewire <thova...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I inherited a Sun Sun Fire v240 server with no dvd drive. I am trying
> not to have to purchase a dvd drive for this server. I was lent a dvd
> drive from a Sun Fire v480. Although the dvd drive from the v480 fit
> into the v240, the v240 does not detect the drive. I was wondering the
> problem is that sun made it so you can't mix and match dvd-rom drive
> with other servers.
>
> From the Sun's parts list, the v480 uses a Toshiba dvd-rom drive, and
> the v240 uses a Panasonic dvd-rom drive.
>
> Does anyone have any input on this? I am trying to install Solaris 10
> on the Sun Fire v240. I am trying to avoid a jumpstart server and
> buying a dvd rom drive.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tho

The two systems use different parts.
I think you can only use a DVD-ROM from a V210 or another V240.
The other part number says it's for use with: Sun Fire V440, V480,
V490, V1280, E2900.

Also, I seem to remember only being able to use CD media to boot
my V240s. I know mine are old, but it's something to keep in mind.

- Scott
From: phirewire on
On Aug 12, 3:19 pm, phirewire <thova...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I inherited a Sun Sun Fire v240 server with no dvd drive. I am trying
> not to have to purchase a dvd drive for this server. I was lent a dvd
> drive from a Sun Fire v480. Although the dvd drive from the v480 fit
> into the v240, the v240 does not detect the drive. I was wondering the
> problem is that sun made it so you can't mix and match dvd-rom drive
> with other servers.
>
> From the Sun's parts list, the v480 uses a Toshiba dvd-rom drive, and
> the v240 uses a Panasonic dvd-rom drive.
>
> Does anyone have any input on this? I am trying to install Solaris 10
> on the Sun Fire v240. I am trying to avoid a jumpstart server and
> buying a dvd rom drive.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tho

Thank you everyone for the replies. I found out why the dvd drive was
not detected. From the Sun v240 server administration manual, "JP5
1-2: Not Fitted ATAPI device master/slave. Do not alter this jumper
setting." After I fitted a jumped on JP5 the server detected the
Toshiba SD-C2612 drive. Running "probe-ide" resulted,

{1} ok probe-ide
Device 0 ( Primary Master )
Removable ATAPI Model: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2612

Device 1 ( Primary Slave )
Not Present

Device 2 ( Secondary Master )
Not Present

Device 3 ( Secondary Slave )
Not Present

Now I can run boot cdrom and install Solaris 10.

Thank you again,

Tho

Pages: 1
Prev: gzip for SPARC