From: RichA on
They do NOT provide the kind of detail a DSLR with the same equivalent
focal length can. These moon shots through a Panasonic FZ-50 prove
it, and it was one of the better superzooms made. On top of that, the
images are washed out, and off-colour, plus they show considerable
chromatic aberration and lack of contrast. All of which reduces
detail.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=35767510

Here's a shot of a bird's head with an APS sensor camera and a 350mm
mirror lens. About a 500mm "equivalent."

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/99552245/original
From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 18:39:08 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>They do NOT provide the kind of detail a DSLR with the same equivalent
>focal length can. These moon shots through a Panasonic FZ-50 prove
>it, and it was one of the better superzooms made. On top of that, the
>images are washed out, and off-colour, plus they show considerable
>chromatic aberration and lack of contrast. All of which reduces
>detail.
>
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=35767510
>
>Here's a shot of a bird's head with an APS sensor camera and a 350mm
>mirror lens. About a 500mm "equivalent."
>
>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/99552245/original

And here's where a 20x superzoom lens' resolution and CA performance EASILY
beats an easy to design and build 3X DSLR lens.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml

Your point?

Oh that's right. You NEVER have one.

From: SMS on
On 10/07/10 6:39 PM, RichA wrote:
> They do NOT provide the kind of detail a DSLR with the same equivalent
> focal length can.

Duh.
From: RichA on
On Jul 10, 9:43 pm, Outing Trolls is FUN! <o...(a)trollouters.org>
wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 18:39:08 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >They do NOT provide the kind of detail a DSLR with the same equivalent
> >focal length can.  These moon shots through a Panasonic FZ-50 prove
> >it, and it was one of the better superzooms made.  On top of that, the
> >images are washed out, and off-colour, plus they show considerable
> >chromatic aberration and lack of contrast.  All of which reduces
> >detail.
>
> >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=35767510
>
> >Here's a shot of a bird's head with an APS sensor camera and a 350mm
> >mirror lens.  About a 500mm "equivalent."
>
> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/99552245/original
>
> And here's where a 20x superzoom lens' resolution and CA performance EASILY
> beats an easy to design and build 3X DSLR lens.
>
> http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_res...
>
> Your point?
>
> Oh that's right. You NEVER have one.

November 2008
Yes, that original Canon 18-55mm was dog. Not equaled in crumminess
until the Sony 18-70mm showed up. But they are hardly representative
of good quality kit lenses.
From: ransley on
On Jul 10, 8:39 pm, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> They do NOT provide the kind of detail a DSLR with the same equivalent
> focal length can.  These moon shots through a Panasonic FZ-50 prove
> it, and it was one of the better superzooms made.  On top of that, the
> images are washed out, and off-colour, plus they show considerable
> chromatic aberration and lack of contrast.  All of which reduces
> detail.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=35767510
>
> Here's a shot of a bird's head with an APS sensor camera and a 350mm
> mirror lens.  About a 500mm "equivalent."
>
> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/99552245/original

You finally are learning. I thought everyone knew this in 05