From: Neil Gould on
We recently moved a classic ASP-based website to a new hosting service
running 2003 server and IIS6. For some reason, the .AddAttachment attribute
that has run for years on other servers fails with an unknown error.

* Is there some way of polling IIS via classic ASP to determine what
attributes are supported?

* Are there specific settings in IIS6 to enable/disable this capability?

Thanks,

Neil

From: Neil Gould on
Neil Gould wrote:
> We recently moved a classic ASP-based website to a new hosting service
> running 2003 server and IIS6. For some reason, the .AddAttachment
> attribute that has run for years on other servers fails with an
> unknown error.
>
> * Is there some way of polling IIS via classic ASP to determine what
> attributes are supported?
>
> * Are there specific settings in IIS6 to enable/disable this
> capability?

Are these the wrong questions to be asking, or is this as much as stumper
for everyone as it is for me?

--
Thanks...

Neil

From: Andrew Morton on
Neil Gould wrote:
> Neil Gould wrote:
>> We recently moved a classic ASP-based website to a new hosting
>> service running 2003 server and IIS6. For some reason, the
>> .AddAttachment attribute that has run for years on other servers
>> fails with an unknown error.
>>
>> * Is there some way of polling IIS via classic ASP to determine what
>> attributes are supported?
>>
>> * Are there specific settings in IIS6 to enable/disable this
>> capability?
>>
> Are these the wrong questions to be asking, or is this as much as
> stumper for everyone as it is for me?

An unknown error isn't going to be easy for anyone to diagnose, but as a
first guess I'd suggest the account running the World Wide Web Publishing
Service doesn't have sufficient rights to read the file for the attachment.

Andrew

From: Neil Gould on
Andrew Morton wrote:
> Neil Gould wrote:
>> Neil Gould wrote:
>>> We recently moved a classic ASP-based website to a new hosting
>>> service running 2003 server and IIS6. For some reason, the
>>> .AddAttachment attribute that has run for years on other servers
>>> fails with an unknown error.
>>>
>>> * Is there some way of polling IIS via classic ASP to determine what
>>> attributes are supported?
>>>
>>> * Are there specific settings in IIS6 to enable/disable this
>>> capability?
>>>
>> Are these the wrong questions to be asking, or is this as much as
>> stumper for everyone as it is for me?
>
> An unknown error isn't going to be easy for anyone to diagnose, but
> as a first guess I'd suggest the account running the World Wide Web
> Publishing Service doesn't have sufficient rights to read the file
> for the attachment.

Thanks for the idea, Andrew. It seems like a place to start looking.

Is there a setting in IIS6 to provide such rights to the account?

--
Best,

Neil

From: Andrew Morton on
Neil Gould wrote:
<the .AddAttachment attribute that has run for years on other servers fails
with an unknown error>

> Andrew Morton wrote:
>> An unknown error isn't going to be easy for anyone to diagnose, but
>> as a first guess I'd suggest the account running the World Wide Web
>> Publishing Service doesn't have sufficient rights to read the file
>> for the attachment.
>>
> Thanks for the idea, Andrew. It seems like a place to start looking.
>
> Is there a setting in IIS6 to provide such rights to the account?

You can right-click the folder in IIS Manager (or Windows Explorer) and
manipulate the permissions there or at a command prompt with, e.g. icacls.

An easy way to see which account is trying to access the file is by using
Process Monitor
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

and filtering it for the file name you're having trouble with.

I don't know which account would be used for ASP (ASP.NET uses "Application
Pools" which can have their own accounts). Be careful not to give excessive
rights to anything like the Windows directory; it may be better to have a
directory dedicated for the attachments.

HTH,

Andrew

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2