From: Dennis on
Hi,

I'm using Access via XP Office Pro on Windows 7.

I have a text box control that enables me to enter my check number. The
check number is a numeric field on the table. There is no default value in
this control.

However, when the form is displayed, there is a zero "0" in the check number
field on the form. Is there a way to stop the zero from displaying on the
form. If there is no check number (as some items are paid by credit card
number) I would like the check number field blank.

Thanks,

Dennis
--
Dennis
From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 19:52:01 -0700, Dennis <Dennis(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm using Access via XP Office Pro on Windows 7.
>
>I have a text box control that enables me to enter my check number. The
>check number is a numeric field on the table. There is no default value in
>this control.
>
>However, when the form is displayed, there is a zero "0" in the check number
>field on the form. Is there a way to stop the zero from displaying on the
>form. If there is no check number (as some items are paid by credit card
>number) I would like the check number field blank.

My guess is that there is no default value in the control... but that there IS
a default zero in the Table field. Microsoft made the (unwise) decision that
all numeric fields should have a zero default by default; in this case that's
inappropriate.

Open the Table in design view, select this field, and remove the 0 from the
Default Value property (in the field properties on the lower left of the
screen).
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: fredg on
On Wed, 5 May 2010 19:52:01 -0700, Dennis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Access via XP Office Pro on Windows 7.
>
> I have a text box control that enables me to enter my check number. The
> check number is a numeric field on the table. There is no default value in
> this control.
>
> However, when the form is displayed, there is a zero "0" in the check number
> field on the form. Is there a way to stop the zero from displaying on the
> form. If there is no check number (as some items are paid by credit card
> number) I would like the check number field blank.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

Either the Table field's Default Value or the Form control's Default
Value is set to 0.
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.
From: KARL DEWEY on
Open the table in design view, change default to blank, and allow nulls.

Backup database. Run update to null any record with value = 0.

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: Dennis on
All,

Thanks for your help. That solved the problem.

Dennis