From: Joe Somebody on
Apologies if already covered - just loaded Suse 10.2 from a magazine
freebie on a Windows pc - Dell Inspiron Mini with Atom processor,
(KDE 4.3.5 Release "0")and I have a few (simple?) questions as follows:-

1. Keyboard. I have US keyboard configured, however @ (above "2")
prints a "; and " prints @. Like wise hash key above 3 prints £ (GB
Pound symbol), I am not sure where the corresponding opposite key for
this. There is a $ on the keyboard above "5". Question, how to fix?

2. Some proggys bleed off the end of the screen (10"). Any cure for
this?

3. How do I reset the password in KWallet, or examine, as su, the
saved passwords?

4. KMail (1.12.4) does not add the selected text into a reply; in
fact if no text is selected, again nothing at all is added into a
reply? Any fix for this?

5.Claws mail/news client. Is the Usenet part of Claws off line? i.e
are bodies downloaded with the headers at all?

All help greatly appreciated. Please keep it simple, I am extremely
technically challenged, but willing to learn!

From: Joe Somebody on
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:32:55 +1100, you wrote:

> Apologies if already covered - just loaded Suse 10.2 from a magazine
> freebie on a Windows pc - Dell Inspiron Mini with Atom processor,
> (KDE 4.3.5 Release "0")and I have a few (simple?) questions as
> follows:-

Sorry, forgot to mention, dual boot with XP Pro SP3.
From: David Bolt on
On Sunday 28 Feb 2010 12:32, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Joe Somebody painted this mural:

> Apologies if already covered - just loaded Suse 10.2 from a magazine
> freebie on a Windows pc - Dell Inspiron Mini with Atom processor,
> (KDE 4.3.5 Release "0")and I have a few (simple?) questions as follows:-
>
> 1. Keyboard. I have US keyboard configured, however @ (above "2")
> prints a "; and " prints @. Like wise hash key above 3 prints £ (GB
> Pound symbol), I am not sure where the corresponding opposite key for
> this. There is a $ on the keyboard above "5". Question, how to fix?

Are you sure you've got it configured as a US keyboard? The @ , " , £
and # make it sound like it's configured as a UK keyboard.

> 2. Some proggys bleed off the end of the screen (10"). Any cure for
> this?

Not sure about this one.

> 3. How do I reset the password in KWallet

Google is your friend, as is a quick search of the last 24 hours of
this group. Specifically, try a search for:

kdewallet password

> , or examine, as su, the
> saved passwords?

As far as I know, that won't work.

> 4. KMail (1.12.4) does not add the selected text into a reply; in
> fact if no text is selected, again nothing at all is added into a
> reply? Any fix for this?

Configure Kmail and, in the configuration window, select Composer ->
Standard Templates . There you can edit the templates. For some
unfathomable reason, Kmail 1.12.4 defaults to having a blank template
for Reply to Sender, Reply to All/List and Forward Message. I copied
the templates from an old KDE3 release so they weren't blank. The old
templates were:

For Forward Message:

<snip here>
%REM="Default forward template"%-

On %ODATEEN %OTIMELONGEN %OFROMNAME wrote:
%QUOTE
%CURSOR
<snip here>

And for Reply to Sender:

<snip here>
%REM="Default reply template"%-
On %ODATEEN %OTIMELONGEN %OFROMNAME wrote:
%QUOTE
%CURSOR
<snip here>

> 5.Claws mail/news client. Is the Usenet part of Claws off line? i.e
> are bodies downloaded with the headers at all?

I don't think so, and can't seem to find an answer either way. I don't
know of any Linux based newsreaders that do read offline so, if you
need that ability, install leafnode and use that as an intermediary.
This gives you at least three benefits over configuring multiple news
servers in whichever news reader you choose:

1, Firstly, you only need to add one server to your newsreader, and you
don't need to try and remember various user names and passwords.
2, Secondly, you can configure how long you want to retain articles
independently of the news servers, so you could specify a 99 year
retention for this group but only a day or two for a different one.
3, Thirdly, you can set up filtering so you don't see various articles
and not have to do the same setup in other news readers you try/use.

There are probably others, but those are the three that came to mind.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3M1 32b

From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message <5792026.TsYXDIyTIc(a)dev.null.davjam.org>, David Bolt
<blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> writes
>On Sunday 28 Feb 2010 12:32, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
>Joe Somebody painted this mural:
>

>> 2. Some proggys bleed off the end of the screen (10"). Any cure for
>> this?
>
>Not sure about this one.

I suspect it is a problem of resolution combined with what the program
is written for. All I can tell you is that when I first started to play
with versions of Ubuntu on an early 7" Asus EEE I had the same problem
but EeeBuntu was suitably adjusted - not sure how the writer did that.

--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay
From: Darrell Stec on
David Bolt wrote:

>> , or examine, as su, the
>> saved passwords?
>
> As far as I know, that won't work.

Technically it could work, however the exact account or ID (if more than
one) will be a series of numbers and not a name. There is an option to view
the accounts with passwords but as I said, there are no account names.

--
Later,
Darrell