From: What's in a Name? on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> after much
thought,came up with this in news:XM1Xe.5092$%i1.97(a)trnddc09:

> From: "JC" <jhoppyc(a)westnet.com.invalid>
>

>| I have chased this down further. The full path is
>| c:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop
>| Messenger\8876480\Program\Backweb-8876480.exe which means that
>| the file came in off the Logitech install CD-ROM.
>|
>| I ran Ad-aware SE, with SE1R66 defs, last night with no result.
>| I then ran SpyBot, with the 16/09/2005 defs, and it found 57
>| entries for Backweb. I had SpyBot clean them and re-ran SpyBot -
>| it then reported no problems.
>|
>| This morning I ran the Norton System works one button check and
>| it found a registry entry referring to a missing file -
>| Backweb-887680 - which it fixed. A second check came up clean.
>| NAV will run in 30 minutes to complete the story.
>|
>| I intend asking Logitech about this.
>| --
>|
>| Cheers . . . JC
>
> I think this is a module to allow the Logitech drivers to be
> auto-updated. Your asking Logitech is an excellent idea.

I got the same file when installing a Logitech web cam. As you found,
it is part of the Desktop Messenger.When installing,there is a box to
uncheck the messenger install if my memory serves correctly.
-max
--
Playing Nice on Usenet:
My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
From: JC on
On 18 Sep 2005 19:05:37 GMT, "What's in a Name?" <maxpro4u(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:

>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> after much
>thought,came up with this in news:XM1Xe.5092$%i1.97(a)trnddc09:
>
>> From: "JC" <jhoppyc(a)westnet.com.invalid>
>>

>>| I have chased this down further. The full path is
>>| c:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop
>>| Messenger\8876480\Program\Backweb-8876480.exe which means that
>>| the file came in off the Logitech install CD-ROM.
>>|
>>| I ran Ad-aware SE, with SE1R66 defs, last night with no result.
>>| I then ran SpyBot, with the 16/09/2005 defs, and it found 57
>>| entries for Backweb. I had SpyBot clean them and re-ran SpyBot -
>>| it then reported no problems.
>>|
>>| This morning I ran the Norton System works one button check and
>>| it found a registry entry referring to a missing file -
>>| Backweb-887680 - which it fixed. A second check came up clean.
>>| NAV will run in 30 minutes to complete the story.
>>|
>>| I intend asking Logitech about this.
>>| --
>>|
>>| Cheers . . . JC
>>
>> I think this is a module to allow the Logitech drivers to be
>> auto-updated. Your asking Logitech is an excellent idea.
>>

>I got the same file when installing a Logitech web cam. As you found,
>it is part of the Desktop Messenger.When installing,there is a box to
>uncheck the messenger install if my memory serves correctly.

Hi Max

Yes, that is correct. I spoke with a Logitech Australia tech support guy and he
told me that they were getting 3-5 calls per day about this Backweb program
mostly due to firewalls blocking it. His response was to delete Desktop
Messenger and check the web site on a regular basis for driver etc updates.

BTW add/delete programs didn't really get rid of the Desktop messenger programs
probably due to SpyBot having already deleted some of the files. I had to go in
with Windows Explorer and delete the sub-directory and then allow Norton System
Works one button check fix the registry references to all of the files deleted.

I've left an email with SpyBot telling them about the latest defs detecting the
Backweb program as spyware and suggested that they discuss this with Logitech.
No response from SpyBot yet.
--

Cheers . . . JC