From: mnikhil on
Hi,

I am trying to use SSDs from fusionio as the ZFS based swap devices on
my Solaris 10 x86 update7 system..and I am wondering if there is any
tool that can cater to the needs of testing the performance/benchmark
of the swap on the Solaris machine?

Thanks,
Nikhil
From: hume.spamfilter on
mnikhil(a)gmail.com <mnikhil(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> my Solaris 10 x86 update7 system..and I am wondering if there is any
> tool that can cater to the needs of testing the performance/benchmark
> of the swap on the Solaris machine?

Swap performance should correspond rather well to the I/O performance of
the disk, so a simple disk benchmarking tool should give you good numbers,
at least for comparing SSD to non-SSDs.

However, why use an SSD for a swap device? Swap activity is famously
hostile to flash-based media. For the same or less money, you could buy
more RAM and simply not swap at all.

--
Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/
From: ITguy on
> However, why use an SSD for a swap device?  Swap activity is famously
> hostile to flash-based media.  For the same or less money, you could buy
> more RAM and simply not swap at all.

You could use the SSD for the ZFS log - there are significant benefits!