From: geoff on
I just did it, going from gigabyte to gigabyte and AMD to AMD.

When I booted XP, a lot of 'found new hardware' messages popped up. I
cancelled them and installed all the GigaByte drivers.

No issues.

--g

From: troop on
In article <hjsa2s$14p$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, nospam(a)needed.com says...
> troop wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to swap an upgraded Asus board/Intel processor for the existing board/Intel
> > processor--from a 775 to a 1336-along with a new video card. The processor will be
> > Intel. I will be going from Asus to Asus and Intel to intel.Plus a new video card. Will
> > XP boot the new board or will I have to chose between a reistall of XP / 7 ? Thx,
>
> > Any time you buy a new motherboard, check the download page for the
> motherboard, and see if the drivers list includes WinXP. That
> way, there will be fewer surprises.

The idea here is to install the new Intel MB drivers on XP before I swap boards ? Does
that help XP find and accept the new processor and MB ? I thought running the newer
Intel inf on the current system would not make drivers for another MN/chipset available
to XP upon booting the new system because they would not be installed on the old system.
From: Barry Watzman on
There is no single answer to this question (can you move an installed
copy of Windows from one motherboard to another). It depends on way too
many variables, and the fact that it's Intel to Intel (e.g. CPU &
chipset) doesn't really say much, because there are so many Intel
chipsets and configurations. Really, the only way to find out is to try
it, although a Repair install should be possible (but those sometimes
"clobber" a lot more things than one would think).

From: Paul on
troop wrote:
> In article <hjsa2s$14p$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, nospam(a)needed.com says...
>> troop wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I want to swap an upgraded Asus board/Intel processor for the existing board/Intel
>>> processor--from a 775 to a 1336-along with a new video card. The processor will be
>>> Intel. I will be going from Asus to Asus and Intel to intel.Plus a new video card. Will
>>> XP boot the new board or will I have to chose between a reistall of XP / 7 ? Thx,
>>> Any time you buy a new motherboard, check the download page for the
>> motherboard, and see if the drivers list includes WinXP. That
>> way, there will be fewer surprises.
>

> The idea here is to install the new Intel MB drivers on XP before I swap boards ? Does
> that help XP find and accept the new processor and MB ? I thought running the newer
> Intel inf on the current system would not make drivers for another MN/chipset available
> to XP upon booting the new system because they would not be installed on the old system.

I mention checking the web site, in advance of purchasing, to make sure your OS
is supported.

At least a few people have bought motherboards, assuming they could install Win98.
If they checked the web page for their board, there are no Win98 drivers, and that
would be a hint that the board might not be the best for them.

In terms of drivers, one thing that would be popular is an AHCI driver for the
disk. Either using the new driver CD that comes in the motherboard box, or
by downloading the appropriate package for preparing an F6 floppy disk, you can prepare
in advance, for any need to press F6 and install a disk driver.

On the new chipsets, you have IDE, AHCI, RAID as options. If the old motherboard
was installed in IDE mode, and the new motherboard was set to IDE mode, there
are two advantages to that. The first is, the transplanted C: drive may boot
right away. (It might get stuck on activation issues, but the boot process
would at least work.) The second is, if you do a Repair Install, you don't need
to install a driver for the IDE or "vanilla" mode on the Southbridge. Microsoft
has bundled a plain SATA driver for the Southbridge, since SP1 of WinXP. Microsoft
doesn't provide an AHCI driver for WinXP, but has done so for their more modern
OSes.

So, why don't most people use the "vanilla" IDE mode ? The reason they don't, has
to do with the features of AHCI. AHCI supports hot swap, so if there is ESATA on
the back of the computer, AHCI would be of benefit for the hot swap. AHCI uses the
same driver ingredients as RAID, and if you want to transition to using RAID
in the future, currently having AHCI is the springboard (preparatory step)
for doing that. So most people would not use the "vanilla" mode, since it
would cramp their style later. But if your objective was to do as clean
a transition as possible, having vanilla IDE mode on the source and destination
motherboard, would be the way to go. That is how I was able to move Win2K from
one Intel Southbridge motherboard to another one. The same Microsoft bundled
driver worked with both, so I could boot right away. The New Hardware Wizard
was pretty busy, and it took a couple hours of driver installs to clean up
Device Manager, but at least I didn't get stuck at the boot step.

Another way to transition from one computer to another, is with a
"bounce install". Say I own an IDE disk, and I also have a Promise Ultra133
PCI controller card in my junk box. On the original computer, I plug in the Promise
card and I install the Promise driver. I move the C: disk over to use the IDE
connector on the Promise card. I boot at least once to prove the disk can be
booted from the Promise card. Then, I turn off the first computer, and move
both the Promise PCI card, disk, cable and all, to the new computer. When
the disk boots in the new environment, it is in familiar territory. The
Promise driver that was installed on C: is still there. So the disk can boot.
Once you've booted on the new computer, then you can install the Southbridge
driver in any mode you want (because you're still booted from the Promise card).
Once all the drivers are installed on the new computer, you move the disk over
to a motherboard disk connector. You pull the Promise card out and throw it
back in the junk box. The purpose of this method, is to give more freedom in
choosing disk modes on the Southbridge of the new computer, in scenarios
where you're not going to do a Repair Install and just want to "plug and pray"
with the old C:. I don't know all the issues around activation, and haven't done
enough experiments with my own copy of WinXP to comment on that. But I have
read of cases where people got stuck, and WinXP would not run well enough
on the new motherboard, to be re-activated.

Paul
From: troop on
In article <hjum0j$kut$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, nospam(a)needed.com says...

> On the new chipsets, you have IDE, AHCI, RAID as options. If the old motherboard
> was installed in IDE mode, and the new motherboard was set to IDE mode, there
> are two advantages to that. The first is, the transplanted C: drive may boot
> right away. (It might get stuck on activation issues, but the boot process
> would at least work.) The second is, if you do a Repair Install, you don't need
> to install a driver for the IDE or "vanilla" mode on the Southbridge. Microsoft
> has bundled a plain SATA driver for the Southbridge, since SP1 of WinXP. Microsoft
> doesn't provide an AHCI driver for WinXP, but has done so for their more modern
> OSes.
>
> So, why don't most people use the "vanilla" IDE mode ? The reason they don't, has
> to do with the features of AHCI. AHCI supports hot swap, so if there is ESATA on
> the back of the computer, AHCI would be of benefit for the hot swap. AHCI uses the
> same driver ingredients as RAID, and if you want to transition to using RAID
> in the future, currently having AHCI is the springboard (preparatory step)
> for doing that. So most people would not use the "vanilla" mode, since it
> would cramp their style later. But if your objective was to do as clean

ok to that--thx.