From: troop on
Hello,

I want to swap an upgraded Asus board/Intel processor for the existing board/Intel
processor--from a 775 to a 1336-along with a new video card. The processor will be
Intel. I will be going from Asus to Asus and Intel to intel.Plus a new video card. Will
XP boot the new board or will I have to chose between a reistall of XP / 7 ? Thx,
From: Paul on
troop wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to swap an upgraded Asus board/Intel processor for the existing board/Intel
> processor--from a 775 to a 1336-along with a new video card. The processor will be
> Intel. I will be going from Asus to Asus and Intel to intel.Plus a new video card. Will
> XP boot the new board or will I have to chose between a reistall of XP / 7 ? Thx,

You should be able to do a Repair Install. A Repair Install leaves
your applications and data intact. It mainly focuses on OS files.
You need your WinXP install CD to do that. If the hard drive is out
of a Dell, there isn't the equivalent of an install CD on there.
We're talking about what options exist for a person with a
WinXP CD in their hands.

Any time you buy a new motherboard, check the download page for the
motherboard, and see if the drivers list includes WinXP. That
way, there will be fewer surprises.

A Repair Install is one thing. A Clean Install on the other hand,
is a clean sweep and means more post-install cleanup work for you.
You have to reinstall your programs in that case.

Note that a Repair Install is not completely without issues. If you
currently have IE8 installed, you might want to uninstall that
and go back to IE6. I understand a Repair Install can have issues if
it is over top of IE8. I tried to find references to what happens to
WMP, but can't find any dependencies on it. So perhaps you'll just
have to reinstall the most recent version of WMP to fix it up after
the repair.

"How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP
if a later version of Internet Explorer is installed"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

A Repair Install gives you an opportunity to press F6 and install
a driver so you can access the hard drive. Otherwise, depending on
the transition from one motherboard to the next, the disk might not
be visible. For example, maybe you'll want to operate the Southbridge
disk interfaces in AHCI mode, and in WinXP that would mean
installing a F6 driver early in the Repair Install.

If you attempt to just boot the new set of hardware, in addition
to the hard disk driver issue (not being able to see the disk), WinXP
also has its activation logic. On the surface of it, you'd think
activation would allow you to boot and then automatically try to
resolve the activation over the net. But I've heard of people
getting stuck, and the OS basically won't do anything. So if that
happened, then it would be Repair Install time. And if you see a
Repair Install in your future, make sure you do the research on
what software should be uninstalled first so it will work.

I have been able to move a disk drive from one machine to another
with Win2K, but there is no activation on the Win2K I've got. All
I have to do is take care of the disk interface mode issue and
away it goes.

In any case, only a fool moves a disk from one machine to another
without backups. I've had to go to my backups a few times, while
trying these experiments. When you buy a new motherboard, buy a
spare disk at the same time. It is then easier to back out of a
mess, if your original C: contents are safe some where. Make your backup
(sector by sector) first. Move the original disk to the new
machine. Do your experiments. If the experiments fail, move
the disk back to the original hardware configuration, and reclone
from the backup.

The other thing I've learned, is to always have two computers
to work with :-) If the new configuration won't start, you'll
need a second computer to help clone disks or whatever. I've actually
managed to break two computers at the same time, so very occasionally
a third computer comes in handy.

Good luck,
Paul
From: Bill Anderson on
Paul wrote:
> troop wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to swap an upgraded Asus board/Intel processor for the existing
>> board/Intel processor--from a 775 to a 1336-along with a new video
>> card. The processor will be Intel. I will be going from Asus to Asus
>> and Intel to intel.Plus a new video card. Will XP boot the new board
>> or will I have to chose between a reistall of XP / 7 ? Thx,
>
> You should be able to do a Repair Install. A Repair Install leaves
> your applications and data intact. It mainly focuses on OS files.
> You need your WinXP install CD to do that.

Hi Paul. As I mentioned in another thread, a couple of days ago I
attempted to move my system from an Asus P5K mbo to a P5Q. While
ultimately I decided to revert to the P5K, for a time I was running on
the P5Q. I started by connecting only my HDD that contains operating
systems. All data drives were disconnected so there'd be no chance of
losing data. I knew that no matter what I might do to screw up my boot
partition with the P5Q, I could always restore the partition with a
Ghost backup file if I needed to.

So now what's probably a dumb question. You'd mentioned I'd need to do
a repair install, but I swear I couldn't figure out how. I've seen the
repair install option before, but this time it never popped up. As far
as I could tell, I wasn't offered an opportunity to "press r" to do a
repair install. Maybe I should have tried a different XP installation
disk. But this disk would just boot and offer me the option to install
XP and I went right up to the brink of installing XP on the C:
partition. But with "repair" never presented as an option, I backed out.

Was I too timid? If I'd highlighted the C: partition and hit "enter" to
install, would I have been offered the "repair" option at that point? I
feared that if I hit "enter" a full installation would begin and I'd
lose my C: installation completely without ever being offered an
opportunity to do a repair.

After backing out of the installation I tried just booting from the C:
partition using the XP installation tailored for the P5K. To my
surprise, XP started right up and immediately began installing drivers.
Apparently I would be able to use my P5K XP installation on the P5Q
without a "repair install."

Well, as I mentioned before, I ultimately decided to revert to the P5K,
and in fact, when I had everything back in place I booted into a
different OS and used Ghost to restore my C: partition. (Didn't want to
confuse things with the P5Q drivers that had been installed.)

Should I have hit some function key when booting from the XP
installation disk in order to bring up "repair install?" Or would I
have been given the option after choosing the C: partition as the target
and pressing "enter?"

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
From: Anssi Saari on
troop <troop(a)sas.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I want to swap an upgraded Asus board/Intel processor for the existing board/Intel
> processor--from a 775 to a 1336-along with a new video card. The processor will be
> Intel. I will be going from Asus to Asus and Intel to intel.Plus a new video card. Will
> XP boot the new board...

If you take some precautions, then yes. There are instructions around,

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=77909774&m=1400925745

is one I've used successfully. It really comes down to making sure you
have the drivers you need for the new board installed before the swap.
Especially for hard disk, it's kinda hard to boot otherwise.

I'd probably take the change in stages, motherboard first and video
later. Or if the same drivers are good for both video cards, then it's
an easy change.
From: Anssi Saari on
Bill Anderson <billanderson601(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> Was I too timid? If I'd highlighted the C: partition and hit "enter"
> to install, would I have been offered the "repair" option at that
> point?

Probably not. What I have is a XP Pro corporate CD, with SP3 and AHCI
drivers added by myself (easy to do with nlite). It comes up first
with a menu like this:

* To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
* To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

After pressing enter, it shows a license agreement, then I get list of
partitions and can choose 'R' to repair, or ESC to install a fresh
copy.

Anyways, the thing about repair install is that it puts whatever you
have on the CD on your HD. So if you were to pop in a vintage XP
installation media from 2003, then everything goes back in time to
that and you can enjoy hours of installing updates... Or possible get
infected by any number of really old worms and what have you and never
get anywhere.

> After backing out of the installation I tried just booting from the C:
> partition using the XP installation tailored for the P5K. To my
> surprise, XP started right up and immediately began installing
> drivers. Apparently I would be able to use my P5K XP installation on
> the P5Q without a "repair install."

It's not very surprising, since there's very little difference between
P5K and P5Q.