From: Mark on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:12:22 +0100, Colin Harper wrote
(in article <0001HW.C862792600011C9FB01029BF(a)news-europe.giganews.com>):

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:24:39 +0100, Colin Harper wrote
> (in article <0001HW.C86251D70A7FF61EB01029BF(a)news-europe.giganews.com>):
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I've just got an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S). Was wondering what's the
>> best sync solution for contacts, photos, videos etc.
>>
>> I see that Missing Sync have a thing for Android but I wasn't too impressed
>> with Missing Sync from years ago (was it with Palm, I forget).
>>
>> Anyway, I'd like to sync selected iPhoto albums (or all events from last 12
>> months for example). Plus videos in both directions, and contacts.
>>
>> What are people using? Or does everyone here just use an iOS device?
>>

> I really need help with this now. The phone won't even mount as USB Mass
> Storage. There's nothing in dmesg, Console.app, Disk Utility.app, nothing.
> Not a whiff of a message that anything's been connected at all. I tell a lie.

> It does show up in the "About This Mac" USB device tree. Nothing storage
> related that I can find at all though.
>
> The phone detects the USB connection and requests the USB mode to use, I
> select Mass Storage, tell it to go and... Nothing.
>
> Connecting the phone to an Ubuntu 10.04 system and everything mounts as I'd
> expect.
>
> Never seen this before on the Mac with USB Mass Storage. And I even rebooted
> and tried again. No dice.
>
> Help!

Quick Google <http://bit.ly/bPcS7c> shows things called "DoubleTwist"
("Double Twist"?) and "Salling Media" may help..

<http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/sync_your_android_phone_your_mac>

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf7PWNV6YLI>

<http://www.macusersg.org/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=53222.0>

Mark

From: Jochem Huhmann on
Colin Harper <colinharper(a)x.com.invalid> writes:

> I really need help with this now. The phone won't even mount as USB Mass
> Storage. There's nothing in dmesg, Console.app, Disk Utility.app, nothing.
> Not a whiff of a message that anything's been connected at all. I tell a lie.
> It does show up in the "About This Mac" USB device tree. Nothing storage
> related that I can find at all though.
>
> The phone detects the USB connection and requests the USB mode to use, I
> select Mass Storage, tell it to go and... Nothing.

Seems to be common problem with this phone. I've read that activating
USB debugging on the phone (somewhere under Settings>Applications>Development)
sometimes helps.

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."
From: Jochem Huhmann on
Colin Harper <colinharper(a)x.com.invalid> writes:

>> Seems to be common problem with this phone. I've read that activating
>> USB debugging on the phone (somewhere under
>> Settings>Applications>Development)
>> sometimes helps.
>
> Thanks, that /fixed/ it. I get red warning triangles and stuff when it's
> plugged in, but those I can cope with.

Don't update the firmware of the phone though. Samsung seems to have
wrecked that workaround and it doesn't work anymore.

Jochem

From: Jochem Huhmann on
Colin Harper <colinharper(a)x.com.invalid> writes:

> It seems odd though. I've tried it without debugging mode on Linux (Ubuntu
> 10.04) and on XP and Windows 7. They all work fine, irritatingly. Only Mac OS
> X won't mount the device.
>
> You used to be able to rely on USB Mass Storage :-(

Yes, it's literally the last thing you can fall back to. No idea what
Samsung did here.

Anyway, since I started to look at Android phones I have started to love
iTunes. Having to either feed your most personal data to Google or to
drag files around or to bother with half-witted third-party sync apps
makes the good old iTunes look extremely trouble-free and capable.

I haven't really made up my mind yet but Android looks more and more
like the Windows95 of the smartphone universe. Hardwarewise the Galaxy
is a decent phone though.

Jochem