From: Howard Brazee on
I synchronize some files with a Unix server with a batch file that
contains the following commands:

xcopy "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\calendars\*.*"
%mydrive%%mybase%calendars\*.* /Y/D /Exclude:c:\belfry\ICSexclude.txt

Xcopy "%mydrive%%mybase%calendars" "%USERPROFILE%\My
Documents\calendars\*.*" /Y/D

(each of the above is one line).

Trouble is, the Unix server must have slightly different time, so I
get files copied every time I run this. So I downloaded Unison,
renamed the text version and tried to figure out how to run it

I downloaded Unison and am trying to use it, but so far haven't gotten
the syntax to replace those lines. Is there a better way of doing
this? Or do you have example .bat lines using Unison for this?

Thanks.

- James Madison
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Howard Brazee" <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote in message
> I synchronize some files with a Unix server with a batch file that
> contains the following commands:
>
> xcopy "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\calendars\*.*"
> %mydrive%%mybase%calendars\*.* /Y/D /Exclude:c:\belfry\ICSexclude.txt
>
> Xcopy "%mydrive%%mybase%calendars" "%USERPROFILE%\My
> Documents\calendars\*.*" /Y/D
>
> (each of the above is one line).
>
> Trouble is, the Unix server must have slightly different time, so I
> get files copied every time I run this. So I downloaded Unison,
> renamed the text version and tried to figure out how to run it
>
> I downloaded Unison and am trying to use it, but so far haven't gotten
> the syntax to replace those lines. Is there a better way of doing
> this? Or do you have example .bat lines using Unison for this?
>

> Thanks.

xcopy.exe has been deprecated for some time. I recommend you use
robocopy.exe with this switch:

/FFT :: assume FAT File Times (2-second granularity).

I believe the third-party tool xxcopy.exe has a similar switch.

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Howard Brazee" <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote in message
> I synchronize some files with a Unix server with a batch file that
> contains the following commands:
>
> xcopy "%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\calendars\*.*"
> %mydrive%%mybase%calendars\*.* /Y/D /Exclude:c:\belfry\ICSexclude.txt
>
> Xcopy "%mydrive%%mybase%calendars" "%USERPROFILE%\My
> Documents\calendars\*.*" /Y/D
>
> (each of the above is one line).
>
> Trouble is, the Unix server must have slightly different time, so I
> get files copied every time I run this. So I downloaded Unison,
> renamed the text version and tried to figure out how to run it
>
> I downloaded Unison and am trying to use it, but so far haven't gotten
> the syntax to replace those lines. Is there a better way of doing
> this? Or do you have example .bat lines using Unison for this?
>

> Thanks.
>
> --
> "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
> than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
> to the legislature, and not to the executive department."
>
> - James Madison

Hobocopy (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wangdera/files/HoboCopy/) is
another possibility. It has this switch:

/incremental - Perform an incremental copy. Only files that have
changed since the last full copy will be copied.

From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:56:36 +0200, "Pegasus [MVP]"
<news(a)microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hobocopy (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wangdera/files/HoboCopy/) is
>another possibility. It has this switch:
>
>/incremental - Perform an incremental copy. Only files that have
> changed since the last full copy will be copied.

I downloaded this and tried hobocopy /? to get a window saying this
isn't a valid Win32 application.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:49:33 +0200, "Pegasus [MVP]"
<news(a)microsoft.com> wrote:

>xcopy.exe has been deprecated for some time. I recommend you use
>robocopy.exe with this switch:
>
> /FFT :: assume FAT File Times (2-second granularity).
>
>I believe the third-party tool xxcopy.exe has a similar switch.

That looks good. Some other syntax appears to be different, I don't
see an option for /Exclude:c:\belfry\myExclude.txt so I have to play
around a bit.

- James Madison