From: Hristo on

System Administrators / Service Engineers wanted at Yahoo! (in SF bay
area or LA area)

*** If you are interested, meet all of the qualifications listed
below, and are currently located in the U.S., please email me a resume
at hristo(a)yahoo-inc.com . Thanks! ***

=======
ABOUT YAHOO!

Think about impacting 1 out of every 2 people online—in innovative and
imaginative ways that are uniquely Yahoo! We do just that each and
every day, and you could too. After all, it's big thinkers like you
who will create the next generation of Internet experiences for
consumers and advertisers across the globe. Now’s the time to show the
world what you've got. Put your ideas to work for over half a billion
people.

DO YOU...

* Have a passion for solving technical problems, from the network to
the application stack?

* Want to write applications that provide infrastructure for deploying
software to, manage, and maintain many thousands of servers?

* Envision the ability to work with large scale systems which require
performing almost no tasks manually?

* Spend time trying to figure out how something works, not stopping
with knowing just that it does?

* Want to make real web applications and back-end systems faster, more
reliable, more efficient?

Service Engineers at Yahoo! thrive on the scale and mission-critical
nature of our complex search and advertising systems as well as the
challenge that comes along with their operation. In this critical
role, the Service Engineer would utilize rare combination of
significant UNIX systems experience, network knowledge,
troubleshooting skills, and coding sensibilities to design, deploy,
monitor, and automate all operational aspects of Yahoo!'s revenue-
critical search and advertising platforms. The ideal candidate would
be a technical generalist with skills ranging from production systems/
network management to software development.

These are full time positions located in Sunnyvale, CA; Santa Clara,
CA; or Burbank, CA

RESPONSIBILITIES

* Function as a technical generalist responsible for the overall
health and performance of our search and ad serving platforms

* Develop tools to automate the deployment, administration, and
monitoring of a large-scale Linux environment

* Gain deep application-level knowledge of the systems as well as
contributing to their overall design

* Work with development teams to harden, enhance, document, and
generally improve the operability of our systems

* Assist in the configuration/build-out of new deployments to
facilitate our constant growth

* Participate in a 12x7 (daylight hours) on-call pager rotation

MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS

* Extensive system administration background

* Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills, including
application and network-level troubleshooting ability

* Strong programming skills in one or more of: C, Perl, Python, Ruby

* Excellent written and verbal communication skills

* Experience working with development teams

PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS

* 5+ years experience with Linux (RHEL a plus)

* 5+ years experience administering large-scale UNIX installations
(ISP background a plus)

* Experience with SQL and commonly deployed database systems

* BS Computer Science