From: Drora on
Hello

After some bad computer troubles lately I was advised to daily use the tool
called "System restore"
So I made sure to set a new point of System restore each evening before I
shut the machine for the day, and I could see those points highlighted on
the system restore page.

BUT, when I tried today to restore the machine to a selected point, after
much screen flashes and other acrobatics it comes back and tell me that the
system can NOT restore the machine to the selected point. So much for this
lovely tool.

Then I was told that "Registry save" and restore later is a better choice
but I need some info about doing it.

I know how to get to the registry page.
Without touching anything I browsed the registry for some two hours and saw
how immense is this marvel, and I also noticed that a given program can be
found in almost all the keys and in dozens of folders, sometimes under
cover-up of a different name. (Probably the maker of this program doesn't
want you to delete it).

However, on the registry main page,

1) If I highlight the tag "My computer" at the top and order it to save,
does it mean it will save the registry of the entire computer?
And:
2) Later if I want to restore it to that date, is it enough to click the
relevant icon and the entire registry goes back to that date?

Is there any thing you can add to help or warn me about my actions?

Thank you
Drora

From: Jose on
On Feb 20, 12:04 pm, "Drora" <x...(a)cvfcf.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> After some bad computer troubles lately I was advised to daily use the tool
> called "System restore"
> So I made sure to set a new point of System restore each evening before I
> shut the machine for the day,  and I could see those points highlighted on
> the system restore page.
>
> BUT, when  I tried today to restore the machine to a selected point, after
> much screen flashes and other acrobatics it comes back and tell me that the
> system can NOT restore the machine to the selected point. So much for this
> lovely tool.
>
> Then I was told that "Registry save"  and restore later is a better choice
> but I need some info about doing it.
>
> I know how to get to the registry page.
> Without touching anything I browsed the registry for some two hours and saw
> how immense is this marvel, and I also noticed that a given program can be
> found in almost all the keys and in dozens of folders, sometimes under
> cover-up of a different name. (Probably the maker of this program doesn't
> want you to delete it).
>
> However, on the registry main page,
>
> 1) If I highlight the tag  "My computer" at the top and order it to save,
> does it mean it will save the registry of the entire computer?
> And:
> 2) Later if I want to restore it to that date, is it enough to click the
> relevant icon and the entire registry goes back to that date?
>
> Is there any thing you can add to help or  warn me about my actions?
>
> Thank you
> Drora

The tools are fine.

The advice is seriously flawed.

Where do you get this advice?

You sound like you are learning more about it, so become smarter than
your advisor and then assign the advisor different responsibilities.
From: dadiOH on
Drora wrote:
> Hello
>
> After some bad computer troubles lately I was advised to daily use
> the tool called "System restore"
> So I made sure to set a new point of System restore each evening
> before I shut the machine for the day, and I could see those points
> highlighted on the system restore page.
>
> BUT, when I tried today to restore the machine to a selected point,
> after much screen flashes and other acrobatics it comes back and tell
> me that the system can NOT restore the machine to the selected point.
> So much for this lovely tool.
>
> Then I was told that "Registry save" and restore later is a better
> choice but I need some info about doing it.
>
> I know how to get to the registry page.
> Without touching anything I browsed the registry for some two hours
> and saw how immense is this marvel, and I also noticed that a given
> program can be found in almost all the keys and in dozens of folders,
> sometimes under cover-up of a different name. (Probably the maker of
> this program doesn't want you to delete it).
>
> However, on the registry main page,
>
> 1) If I highlight the tag "My computer" at the top and order it to
> save, does it mean it will save the registry of the entire computer?
> And:
> 2) Later if I want to restore it to that date, is it enough to click
> the relevant icon and the entire registry goes back to that date?
>
> Is there any thing you can add to help or warn me about my actions?

1. Read glee's response.

2. If you want to save and later restore a registry, go get ERUNT. You can
set it up to make a new "saved registry" every day keeping a many as you set
before it begins overwriting the previous (oldest) saved ones. Restoring a
registry is as simple as clicking the exe in each saved registry folder.

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: Jose on
On Feb 20, 12:04 pm, "Drora" <x...(a)cvfcf.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> After some bad computer troubles lately I was advised to daily use the tool
> called "System restore"
> So I made sure to set a new point of System restore each evening before I
> shut the machine for the day,  and I could see those points highlighted on
> the system restore page.
>
> BUT, when  I tried today to restore the machine to a selected point, after
> much screen flashes and other acrobatics it comes back and tell me that the
> system can NOT restore the machine to the selected point. So much for this
> lovely tool.
>
> Then I was told that "Registry save"  and restore later is a better choice
> but I need some info about doing it.
>
> I know how to get to the registry page.
> Without touching anything I browsed the registry for some two hours and saw
> how immense is this marvel, and I also noticed that a given program can be
> found in almost all the keys and in dozens of folders, sometimes under
> cover-up of a different name. (Probably the maker of this program doesn't
> want you to delete it).
>
> However, on the registry main page,
>
> 1) If I highlight the tag  "My computer" at the top and order it to save,
> does it mean it will save the registry of the entire computer?
> And:
> 2) Later if I want to restore it to that date, is it enough to click the
> relevant icon and the entire registry goes back to that date?
>
> Is there any thing you can add to help or  warn me about my actions?
>
> Thank you
> Drora

If you can better describe the issues we can perhaps help come up with
a more elegant solution.
From: Bill in Co. on
Drora wrote:
> Hello Glen,
> I expected too much from RESTORE so I wasn't mad at it when it
> disappointed.
> I removed files from the registry and now I know that files removed or
> lost
> can't be restored by RESTORE as now I know that RESTORE is not such a
> comprehensive program.
>
> RESTORE can only work with what it has and if the files are lost Restore
> can't restore them.
>
> This is why I came with the idea of exporting the entire registry but from
> some reactions here it is even a worse idea as re-importing the registry
> will cause eve a bigger mess.
>
> The entire problem is because I used to install my programs on my "D"
> external disk as *D* is much bigger the my *C*. I did it for four years
> and
> all my programs were on that External disk *D*.
>
> Then last Friday my dear *D*, full of 140 GIG of data and programs simply
> went blank in front of my eyes. The icon of *D* gone from "MY COMPUTER"
> and I could only find it in "Disk Management" where I found it with a
> different
> name and -0- content.

Well, I already mentioned one other possibility, and that was trying out
Easeus Data Recovery Wizard to see if you can get *anything* back from your
D: drive. I don't see what you have to lose by trying, and it's a pretty
good tool for that. I expect you could at least try installing it on the C:
drive and seeing if it can find anything on your D: drive, assuming that
drive is still recognized. It probably will at least tell you if it can
find anything, even without purchasing it (which would be necessary to
actually get the data retrieved).

> It took me two days of personal shock and frustration to just overcome my
> own shock and start to understand the size of my loss. The computer was
> off
> for two days. I hated it.
> When I came back, now the machine is asking for this and that program that
> were on *D* that is now gone and buried.
>
> ADD\REMOVE still contain the lines about all those programs which mean
> they
> are on the registry but deleting them from add remove doesn't work as it
> comes back and tell me it can't find the file: D\-----------
> Of course it can't find *D* as *D* no longer exist.!
>
> And for my fast machine it moves very slow, often freezes, all in all not
> fun.
>
> I will go for this ERUNT and install it, ""what the hell can I lose now""
> but I doubt even ERUNT can straighten this mess and it will have to be
> formatted and clean installed. Thanks to MS that gave us this solution of
> format and clean install.

ERUNT will NOT be able to straighten this mess out. All that ERUNT can do
is make a backup of your current registry, and/or restore one from that,
afterwards. It only saves and restores the registry and its associated
files - nothing more.

OTOH, System Restore is much more thorough, in that it backs up (and can
restore) much more than just the registry, but even it is limited in what it
can do.

The only REAL solution for backups is to use an imaging or cloning program,
like Acronis True Image, or Casper, respectively. (I say this for the
future when you presumably reinstall Windows and your programs on the C:
drive, just as it should be. It won't get your data back now obviously)

Only THEN you will be able to image or clone your system and be in good
shape, from that time forward.