From: highstrike on
I have a similar problem to the one outlined by 'fatel' 4/1/07. Have
downloaded Process Explorer and the problem appears to be associated with a
thread USBPORT.SYS+0x5e96. Used Process Explorer to suspend the thread and
'System' CPU usage seems back to usual figure. How can I correct the
problem, which I assume is with the USB driver or can I leave the thread
suspended or will it start again after a reboot? Haven't encountered any USB
problems since suspending.
From: Gerry Cornell on
What Windows XP CD do you have? Does your CD include the SP2 update or
have you downloaded or used the Microsoft SP2 update disk since?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: highstrike on
It's a Compq machine, came with their setup disk, I downloaded SP1 & 2. Saw
there was a problem with USBPORT.SYS which was addressed in SP2, the date on
mine in Win/Sys32/Drivers is Aug 04. Rebooted since last post and thread
starts sucking up CPU resources so looks like I'm going to have to kill it
after each reboot.

From: Gerry Cornell on
This may be a possibility.

You experience a delay when you transfer data over a USB port and CPU
usage increases to 100 percent on a computer that is running Windows
XP with Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894618/en-us

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute

From: highstrike on
No, just synchronised MP3 player, Windows Media player used 20-40% CPU and
all the rest taken up by SETI having previously killed the thread that seems
to be the problem. Checked all my USB devices and they seem to be working
fine. At start up the Found New Hardware Wizard runs sometimes claiming to
have found something new but does not identify it and can't install any
drivers. I have checked device manager and used USBinfo to check but can't
see what is causing the problem, everything works!!