From: omar on
hi there:

How would I qiuckly transfer a directory of data on my HP48 to my HP50.
I really don't want to re type everything.

thanks

From: CR on

"omar" wrote:
> hi there:
>
> How would I qiuckly transfer a directory of data on my HP48 to my HP50.
> I really don't want to re type everything.

I"m not sure this will be either quick or easy for you, but it will work.

1. Locate, download, and install Wolfgang Rautenberg's excellent OT49 from
hpcalc.org into your 50g.
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3397
This is a library so it must be installed to port 0, 1, or 2 on the 50g. My
preference is port 2 (flash).

2. Transfer your directory from the 48 to a PC, using either Kermit or
Xmodem. Binary transfer is fine. Pay attention to the usual naming
conventions and restrictions.

3. Transfer this directory via SD card or USB to your 50g. For USB, you'll
need Conn4x and the USB driver installed.

4. Recall the contents of this object to the stack. Notice the hp48 header.
Execute the OT49 function [ObFx]. If all has gone well, you now have a
directory object on the stack. Store it into the previously downloaded
variable.

If your directory is just data, as your post indicated, everything should be
OK. If, however, the directory contained programs, they may or may not
require some editing, particularly if in sysrpl.

Good luck
Chuck

From: William Graves on
> How would I qiuckly transfer a directory of data on my HP48 to my HP50.
> I really don't want to re type everything.

If you have a 48Gx (not earlier models), you can use Conn4x. Read the Help
section for the HP48. It tells how to download and install the special
library. You then upload the directory to the PC via rs-232 as a TEXT file.
The download to the 50g via USB.

-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bill Graves RKBA!
bgraves(a)ix.netcom.com

From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 06:38:05 -0500, CR wrote:

> Transfer your directory from the 48 to a PC,
> using either Kermit or Xmodem.
> Binary transfer is fine.
> Execute the OT49 function [ObFx].

> If your directory is just data, as your post indicated,
> everything should be OK.

Strings, graphics, vectors, matrices, and complex numbers
are binary compatible between 48 and 49 series;
a lot of other "data" is *incompatible* -- even integer-valued
small real numbers from -9 thru +9 are *not* compatible
(and could cause a crash if used), even if within lists.

And if you have any *programs* in there,
they could be dangerous to run if transferred in binary mode.

You are much better off using only Kermit, only in *ascii* mode
(flag -35 cleared), which will export in *plain*text*
(which the HP50 can re-compile); if anything was a SysRPL program,
it was incompatible anyway, so just edit it out.

> Good luck

Especially after binary transfer :)

By the way, not only does plain MS-DOS Kermit (or Hyperterminal's Kermit)
work fine with HP48, but so does an *emulated* HP48 on your PC,
which can use a computer's serial port, which can in turn
be connected via cable to your calc, for a "calc-to-calc" transfer.

You *can* transfer in binary to an emulated HP48, or in ascii
to an emulated HP49 (the 49G emulation is fine for HP50 as well),
and then from the emulator to a PC file, then via either
transfer kit or SD card to HP50.

[r->] [OFF]
From: omar on

Thanks to everyone for the reply. The OT49 worked perfect