From: Harout Hedeshian on
Other than an added RS232 port(1), why would I want to get it over,
say, the 49G+, if I wasn't an HP Calc enthusiast? (Yay, I can hook up
my Hayes modem and use my calc as a vt102 terminal again!) For some
people that RS232 port alone may justify it, but to an average user
it's just an RS-Wha? Not *all* hp calc users appreciate or even
understand all the hardware features that make HP's stand out over TIs.
The 48gx's expandable card slots kicked TI's posterior to Messier 31.

Will someone explain the difference? Or better yet, is there a document
that does that already? I was hoping for a higher resolution screen. I
would soil myself in excitement if they released a qvga grayscale model
(or even full vga) and ran it in native ARM. Even the wikipedia entry
said: "it does not feature any significant technological advancements
over the 49G+"(2).

I was holding out for the qonos but that never happened. Too bad. I'm
suspecting that this release is really nothing more than a cover up for
the poor quality first gen 49G+, maybe giving it a new name and
appearance will have the non suspecting buyer thinking "oh this must be
better than the 49G+". Sound a lot like a TI tactic to me... I can't
wait for the "HP 50G Tungsten with an upside-down `on` button"
(titanium is taken).

Any speculation if there will be a HP50G+ and what it might offer? I
think I'll buy one of these just because I like to collect HP Calcs,
but I don't see the point. Please explain. This is hurting my head.

(1)http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=341682&prDeTab=2#A
(2)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-49G#HP50G

From: Arnaud Amiel on
I believe that the 50G is just what the 49g+ should have been. And the
main market is not people who are upgrading their calc, I guess is new
buyers. I will certainly get the 50G sometime when the paint on my 49g+
starts making me ashamed of using it.

It is basically what it is all about. when your old calculator break
down, you will be happy there are still 50G around.

Arnaud
who has a 28, 48, 49, 49g+... but will wait a few months still to get
the 50 (I already have a 55)

From: Mick Anderson on

"Arnaud Amiel" <aamiel(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>I believe that the 50G is just what the 49g+ should have been.

Right or wrong, how could HP have done things any differently?

I think the best way to look at it is as "a small incremental improvement"

We've gone from 49 to 49.5 (as in 49g+) to 50.0

Perhaps HP just wanted to wipe the slate clean in terms of 49g+ issues?

From: aplnub on
The 49G and G+ have such bad reputations they needed to distance the
new update from the existing garbage. Just my guess and what I would
do if I were HP.

I expect a 51G(X), bring back the X because the + sounds childish, will
be the next generation of calculator from HP.

From: timite_h on
Welcome to the club.

>I was hoping for a higher resolution screen. I
> would soil myself in excitement if they released a qvga grayscale model
> (or even full vga) and ran it in native ARM. Even the wikipedia entry
> said: "it does not feature any significant technological advancements
> over the 49G+"(2).

When you think that Casio the ClassPad has a 160*240 screen and the
upcoming TI-NSpire will have a 320*240 grayscale levels screen.
The HP50G screen seems ridiculous in comparison.
Moreover the TINspire is certainly much faster than the TI89TI which is
as fast as the HP49G+ for many things.
It wouldn't surprise me if HP lose all the market share they have in
the educational calculator market in a close future.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Z transform
Next: TRANSITION FROM HP48 TO HP50