From: JAM on

Harout Hedeshian wrote:

> Will someone explain the difference?

There is probably no significant difference. What you get by buying
HP50 is basically a HP49 calc without the stigma of poor quality
keyboard. Outside of the HP fan circle HP49+ become a laughingstock
famous as an expensive door stop due to the quality of its keyboard.
And now is simply too late to change it. Trying to sell fixed one under
the same name would be simply a bad business. I actually have forseen
this when I saw first info that appeared on Slowenian website in
conjunction with Eric description of two attempts by HP to fix HP49
keyboard. HP did the right thing when they finally managed to fix the
hardware properly by painting the box with different color and
pretending to sell completely new product. It is simply a good business
decision that allows anybody to buy this product without hassle of
checking it's serial number. Large number of online shops does not
provide serial number info. By buying HP50 customer is assured that he
gets fixed machine. In addition such customer does not have to explain
his TI oriented friend that he has "fixed" model of the previously
horrible quality calc. It is now "new and improved" in salesman terms.
In fact if you would be on the market for a new calculator, unless you
hate black TI styling, why would you even consider HP49 if HP50 is
already available ?

JAM

From: Mick Anderson on

"Harout Hedeshian" <harout(a)hedeshian.net> wrote in message

> Will someone explain the difference? Or better yet, is there a document
> that does that already? I was hoping for a higher resolution screen. I
> would soil myself in excitement if they released a qvga grayscale model
> (or even full vga) and ran it in native ARM.

Have a guess at how long it would take to port the existing code to pure
ARM.

From: Mick Anderson on

"Harout Hedeshian" <harout(a)hedeshian.net> wrote in message

> Even the wikipedia entry
> said: "it does not feature any significant technological advancements
> over the 49G+"(2).

PS: Don't put Wikipedia on too high a perch - most of the current version
was written by a few of us here.

Why not just think of it as "the 49g+ you always wanted"

Personally, I think it's a very nice machine.

From: Chips on
It's for a person like me, that had 2 49G+ ones that died, and was not going
to get another until the crappy keyboard was fixed.

Now once I hear from a few on this newsgroup that it's reliable, will get
another. And of course when it's readily available.

Also, I may use it with my survey scope.

GC

From: Alan Adrian on
"Harout Hedeshian" <harout(a)hedeshian.net> wrote in message
> Other than an added RS232 port(1), why would I want to get it over,
> say, the 49G+, if I wasn't an HP Calc enthusiast?

I really look upon this on one positive way... (yes I'm dissapointed that
the visable changes from the 49G+ are so slight)... But it does mean that HP
have not abandoned the calculator market... they obviously intend to stay in
the game, and are trying to recover from the disaster that was the 49G+...

Only time will tell if they've fixed the issues with the buttons... and the
paint... and the trim... Case looks pretty simular to me...

Al...

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Z transform