From: Ed H. on
Hi All,

Due to users complaining about a slow network I checked the network traffic
an utilization.
What strikes my attention is that almost 2/3 of the network traffic to our
Terminal Servers is TCP retransmissions.

My question is what you guys think of this. Is this normal or do I have a
malfunctioning switch somewhere or a faulting NIC?

any thoughts and help is very much appreciated.

Ed
From: jolteroli on
for any sent packed, the receiver acks this by an ack packet. if a packet
gets lost or the ack gets lost after the ack-timer times out, the sender
cant push the chunk and retransmits the lost packet(s) again.

usually this indicates packet-loss on the wire from A to B. the reason is
usually the hardware, slow routers might also be a problem because the drop
packets on resource-exhause. u will (should) then see icmp 11/1 (reassemble
timout) or 4 (source quench) from the router back to the sender.

if you use a hub instead of a switch, collisions are natural and hence
retransmissions too.

exchange patch cables, use another fibre pair, change nics and try another
switch.

-jolt