From: Jacques on
Greetings all,
We have a TS that, at one point, would allow remote printing through the
terminal session, from any machine.
At some point, it stopped allowing it, as if it were disabled in the TS
Configuration - which it is not disabled.
We have disabled, then re-enabled in the past, without it being an
issue. This was due to some printing problem
with a certain application, that was crashing on printing, when using remote
printing.

Now, the server acts as if remote printing is disabled, and will not
turn back on. The event log on the server,
shows error 55 when someone logs on with Printing checked in the Remote
Desktop Connection program.
It will list each printer from the client as a seperate event, stating that
it does not allow Windows NT kernel drivers
in each event (per printer that the client has).

I would say its a driver issue, but computers that worked before no
longer work.

Any ideas?

From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on
You may want to install the latest print driver or uninstall/reinstall it.
This post may help too.

Server and Workstation drivers fail to startwas on 23/6/04, and the main
significant event in between would seem to be: Event Type: Error Event
Source: Ntfs Event Category: Disk Event ID: 55 ...
chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7753&start=0

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

From: Jacques on
I've tried a new driver, but nothing comes up at all in the print window on
the TS server.
On another server, practically everything from any client computer shows up
(including Acrobat which that server doesn't even have).

Someone mentioned changing the security on the print spooler, but I haven't
found any instructions on that for W2K8 (that's not R2).

From: Bob Campbell on
Hi Jacques,

I assume you are using Windows Server 2008.

Is your RDC program, \Windows\system32\mstsc.exe, dated 7/13/2009 and is
1,033,728 bytes?

Is the Print Spooler service started?

Does the problem also happen when you log on with an Administrator account?

Bob

From: Rommel J. Jimenez on
Jacques, on your post, you don't specify which OS are you troubleshooting on
the client Side. If you are running Windows XP 32/64, make sure that you
upgrade your RDC Client to Version 7, and make sure that you have installed
all .NET Frameworks 3.0 SP1 & 3.5 SP1... Windows 2008 RDC makes transparent
the use of any printer...

HTH

Rommel J. Jimenez, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, Security+