From: ToddAndMargo on
Hi All,

Host: CentOS 5.4 64 bit
Guest: Windows Server 2008 SP2 32 bit as a Terminal Server (TS)
Virtual Machine: Virtual Box 3.1.6

Over the weekend I upgraded my motherboard and processor:

Old:
Xeon 5130 (2 Cores)
Supermicro MBD-X7DVL-E-O motherboard
two cores assigned to the VM

New:
Xeon X5650 (6 core, 12 virtual cores)
Supermicro X8SAX
Eight cores assigned to the VM (reduced to two)

Problem: with eight cores assigned to the Terminal Server,
my CPU's hit 100% for approximately 3 to 10 minutes
when users try to log in to Terminal Services.

And, if more than two users are logged in, when the third
user tries to log on, the Terminal Server freezes up (no
notes in the event log either).

Work around: tell the VM it only has two cores.

Under two cores, this VM is a delight. My CPU only
hits about 75% for about 5 seconds when someone tries
to log on and the system is suddenly totally stable.

Why am I getting a nightmare (CPU storms at logon, unstable
with more than three users) under eight cores and totally stable
under two?

Many thanks,
-T

P.s as I am writing this, I have noticed that five users are
now logged on and my CPU in only bobbing up to about 5%.