From: Paul E. Lehmann on
Anyone using a tv tuner with Linux?

Are there any special problems getting it installed and up and running.

I see that I already have the software on my system (kdetv)

I have a big wide screen Samsung monitor and running a relative new Dell
Inspiron 5305.

I don't think I need the clunky old small screen tv in my study any more if
these tuners work pretty well.
From: keith on
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:44:05 -0500, Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

> Anyone using a tv tuner with Linux?
>
> Are there any special problems getting it installed and up and running.
>
> I see that I already have the software on my system (kdetv)
>
> I have a big wide screen Samsung monitor and running a relative new Dell
> Inspiron 5305.
>
> I don't think I need the clunky old small screen tv in my study any more
> if these tuners work pretty well.

I've been running an Avermedia A800 USB tuner into Mythbuntu for a year
or so (started on 8.04, upgraded to 8.10 then 9.04). Although it was a
bit of a nightmare getting Myth set up (mainly 'cos I didn't understand
the implication of the jargon) its been rock solid since. (which is
better than the pvr under the main TV!)

Using KDE / Suse I've mainly used kaffeine, which always seemed very
reliable, but not been tested (by me) to anywhere the same extent. KDEtv
is likely to be similar, but if you have problems there are always the
others to fall back on, so the investment in the tuner shouldn't be
wasted.

Keith
From: felmon on
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:38:03 -0600, keith wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:44:05 -0500, Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
>
>> Anyone using a tv tuner with Linux?
>>
>> Are there any special problems getting it installed and up and running.
>>
>> I see that I already have the software on my system (kdetv)
>>
>> I have a big wide screen Samsung monitor and running a relative new
>> Dell Inspiron 5305.
>>
>> I don't think I need the clunky old small screen tv in my study any
>> more if these tuners work pretty well.
>
> I've been running an Avermedia A800 USB tuner into Mythbuntu for a year
> or so (started on 8.04, upgraded to 8.10 then 9.04). Although it was a
> bit of a nightmare getting Myth set up (mainly 'cos I didn't understand
> the implication of the jargon) its been rock solid since. (which is
> better than the pvr under the main TV!)
>
> Using KDE / Suse I've mainly used kaffeine, which always seemed very
> reliable, but not been tested (by me) to anywhere the same extent.
> KDEtv is likely to be similar, but if you have problems there are always
> the others to fall back on, so the investment in the tuner shouldn't be
> wasted.
>
> Keith

I am having a hell of a time getting tv to work. I have a low-profile pci-
e card (Hauppauge HVR1250) in a slimline Gateway 2800 running Debian and
Ubuntu. I can't get Debian to load the card properly so leave that aside,
Ubuntu loads the kernel stuff ok but it doesn't create /dev/video.

I have googled all around, no solution. I am reasonably certain I have
the firmware installed but not absolutely sure.

I need it to get us cable. an older card in my other desktop works no
problem using xawtv, tvtime or something else I forgot. these guys, not
seeing /dev/video refuse to load.

the kernel in Ubuntu is 2.6.31-15-generic.pae. the kernel in Debian Lenny
is (as I recall) 2.6.26. am familiar with linuxtv.org.

there's plenty to google. not done yet but have almost given up hope. I
am a bit wary of this Gateway unit. never have had such trouble getting
Linux to work with the graphics. OpenSuse 10.2 booted alright but some
version of 11.x killed the monitor, forcing me to reboot. same with
Debian but I stuck with it.

felmon

From: jamm on
Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
> Anyone using a tv tuner with Linux?
>
> Are there any special problems getting it installed and up and running.
>
> I see that I already have the software on my system (kdetv)
>
> I have a big wide screen Samsung monitor and running a relative new Dell
> Inspiron 5305.
>
> I don't think I need the clunky old small screen tv in my study any more if
> these tuners work pretty well.

The older haupaggue (spelling?) pci cards are well supported by linux.
From: Darklight on
felmon wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:38:03 -0600, keith wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:44:05 -0500, Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone using a tv tuner with Linux?
>>>
>>> Are there any special problems getting it installed and up and running.
>>>
>>> I see that I already have the software on my system (kdetv)
>>>
>>> I have a big wide screen Samsung monitor and running a relative new
>>> Dell Inspiron 5305.
>>>
>>> I don't think I need the clunky old small screen tv in my study any
>>> more if these tuners work pretty well.
>>
>> I've been running an Avermedia A800 USB tuner into Mythbuntu for a year
>> or so (started on 8.04, upgraded to 8.10 then 9.04). Although it was a
>> bit of a nightmare getting Myth set up (mainly 'cos I didn't understand
>> the implication of the jargon) its been rock solid since. (which is
>> better than the pvr under the main TV!)
>>
>> Using KDE / Suse I've mainly used kaffeine, which always seemed very
>> reliable, but not been tested (by me) to anywhere the same extent.
>> KDEtv is likely to be similar, but if you have problems there are always
>> the others to fall back on, so the investment in the tuner shouldn't be
>> wasted.
>>
>> Keith
>
> I am having a hell of a time getting tv to work. I have a low-profile pci-
> e card (Hauppauge HVR1250) in a slimline Gateway 2800 running Debian and
> Ubuntu. I can't get Debian to load the card properly so leave that aside,
> Ubuntu loads the kernel stuff ok but it doesn't create /dev/video.
>
> I have googled all around, no solution. I am reasonably certain I have
> the firmware installed but not absolutely sure.
>
> I need it to get us cable. an older card in my other desktop works no
> problem using xawtv, tvtime or something else I forgot. these guys, not
> seeing /dev/video refuse to load.
>
> the kernel in Ubuntu is 2.6.31-15-generic.pae. the kernel in Debian Lenny
> is (as I recall) 2.6.26. am familiar with linuxtv.org.
>
> there's plenty to google. not done yet but have almost given up hope. I
> am a bit wary of this Gateway unit. never have had such trouble getting
> Linux to work with the graphics. OpenSuse 10.2 booted alright but some
> version of 11.x killed the monitor, forcing me to reboot. same with
> Debian but I stuck with it.
>
> felmon

I have a kworld xpert pvr7134 tv capture card using the saa7134 driver can
watch tv but can't record. using kdetv application.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Boot selection
Next: Tibetan fonts?