From: Josiah Jenkins on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:06:17 -0500, "Jonathan N. Little"
<lws4art(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Josiah Jenkins wrote:
>>>
>>> I also discovered, whilst cleaning up the css, that I had
>>> fallen completely into the newbie trap of 'too many
>>> un-needed declarations' !
>> You might find this Firefox extension helpful:
>>
>> http://www.sitepoint.com/dustmeselectors/

Thanks for that one. Strangely it's showing 'unused selectors',
several of which are font settings, which I *know* are being
used on one or more pages.
????

>Also the WebDeveloper bar to find bad rules such as:
>
>Warning: Error in parsing value for 'border-style'. Declaration dropped.
>Source File: http://www.ian-stewart.eu/align.css
>Line: 62
>
>Warning: Error in parsing value for 'border-style'. Declaration dropped.
>Source File: http://www.ian-stewart.eu/align.css
>Line: 76

I've removed those two but elsewhere in 'align.css' I have in
the 'table' declaration . . . border-style: none;
????

>Also another thing not matter how wide I set the browser
>there is always a horizontal scroll bar

I thought that was something caused by my using a
widescreen laptop.

I have the 'page width' set to 75em, is that likely
to be the problem ?
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
From: dorayme on
In article <4veuk5ljrm5qm3islmlg5l1d7foba6ebmh(a)4ax.com>,
Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:29:39 +1100, dorayme
> <doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:
> <snip>

> Thanks for the suggestions and help.
>
> I also discovered, whilst cleaning up the css, that I had
> fallen completely into the newbie trap of 'too many
> un-needed declarations' !

Why are you setting so many font-sizes and so big? Why like 1.5em and
1.65em for paragraphs and "arial" (btw, this latter is a sans serif font
so it is odd for your fallback to be listed as serif). There is more to
be done. I would suggest to simplify further, first. Try this: say
nothing in the CSS about fonts at all and see what happens.

I am reminded, don't ask why, of this:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/jokes/germanPianist.html>

<g>

--
dorayme
From: Jonathan N. Little on
dorayme wrote:
> In article<v_adnVdyJqMMEdLWnZ2dnUVZ_i1i4p2d(a)posted.expedient>,
> Bill Braun<me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>> Also the WebDeveloper bar to find bad rules such as:
>>
>> Where on the bar do you find that, Jonathan?
>>

> You have to download it and it will be in a menu like "Tools" etc...

Hotkey CTRL+SHIFT+J or on the far left of the toolbar are 3 icons from
left to right are compliance mode, css errors, javascript errors. When
there is an error the green check-mark will become a red "!" Click on it
to see the error console.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Bill Braun on
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Hotkey CTRL+SHIFT+J or on the far left of the toolbar are 3 icons from
> left to right are compliance mode, css errors, javascript errors. When
> there is an error the green check-mark will become a red "!" Click on it
> to see the error console.

Terrific, thank you, Jonathan.

Bill B