From: Josiah Jenkins on
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 09:44:51 -0500, Sherm Pendley
<spamtrap(a)shermpendley.com> wrote:

>Finally, the beveled table borders are straight out of the '90s. Unless
>you're deliberately going for a "retro" theme, you should drop them.

What would you suggest to replace the beveled border ?

I've got one halfway down this page :
http://www.ian-stewart.eu/irs_glasgow.php
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
From: dorayme on
In article <nrkkk5heead0p5grcp9l2h0fj3kige37bg(a)4ax.com>,
Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 09:44:51 -0500, Sherm Pendley
> <spamtrap(a)shermpendley.com> wrote:
> >
> >Finally, the beveled table borders are straight out of the '90s. Unless
> >you're deliberately going for a "retro" theme, you should drop them.
>
> What would you suggest to replace the beveled border ?
>
> I've got one halfway down this page :
> http://www.ian-stewart.eu/irs_glasgow.php

How about

td {border: 1px solid #000;},

with

table {border-collapse: collapse;}

and if I you insist on a table (for a simple list of links?), why allow
it to stretch across like that? The info simply does not warrant it, let
it shrink to fit, (leave out width on the table element if this is the
cause).

--
dorayme
From: Josiah Jenkins on
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:29:39 +1100, dorayme
<doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:
>> Sherm Pendley <spamtrap(a)shermpendley.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >Finally, the beveled table borders are straight out of the '90s.
>>
>> What would you suggest to replace the beveled border ?
>>
>> I've got one halfway down this page :
>> http://www.ian-stewart.eu/irs_glasgow.php
>
>How about
>
>td {border: 1px solid #000;},
>
>with
>
>table {border-collapse: collapse;}

Thanks, I'll try those later and see how it looks.

>and if I you insist on a table (for a simple list of links?),
>why allow it to stretch across like that?

My logic (?) on this . . .

On the few pages I'm using such a table, it's also serving as a
'natural break' from a section of info to one with photographs.

All such tables used on the website are full width, the intention
there being to create a degree of uniformity. For the same
reason I trim nearly all photos I use to one of two sizes
(depending on whether it's for a single or two-column page).

>The info simply does not warrant it, let it shrink to fit,
>(leave out width on the table element if this is the cause).

Yes, it will be. In the css I have :
table {
table-layout: auto;
width: 100%;
border-width: 0.5em; /* Table Border - Dark Blue Line */
border-spacing: 0.35em; /* Spacing around cells in table -
Light Blue */
border-style: groove;
border-color: #1818F7; /* Dark Blue */
border-collapse: separate; /* Seperates Cells From Border And
Each Other */
background-color: #C6C6FF; /* Light Blue */
empty-cells: show;
}
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
From: Josiah Jenkins on
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:29:39 +1100, dorayme
<doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:
<snip>

>> What would you suggest to replace the beveled border ?
>>
>How about
>
>td {border: 1px solid #000;},
>
>with
>
>table {border-collapse: collapse;}

Having played around with the css . . .
The original page now looks much better :
http://www.ian-stewart.eu/irs_glasgow.php

There's a *huge* improvement in appearance at a page
I created to use as my browser 'home page' many moons
ago : http://www.ian-stewart.eu/irs_google.php

>and if I you insist on a table (for a simple list of links?), why allow
>it to stretch across like that? The info simply does not warrant it, let
>it shrink to fit, (leave out width on the table element if this is the
>cause).

I've tried that but opted for the width=100% option for the
reason set out earlier. ie The table is normally serving as a
'natural break' from one section on a page to another.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

I also discovered, whilst cleaning up the css, that I had
fallen completely into the newbie trap of 'too many
un-needed declarations' !
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
From: Ed Mullen on
Josiah Jenkins wrote:

> I also discovered, whilst cleaning up the css, that I had
> fallen completely into the newbie trap of 'too many
> un-needed declarations' !

You might find this Firefox extension helpful:

http://www.sitepoint.com/dustmeselectors/

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net