From: ErikFM via AccessMonster.com on
Hi all!

I have a quick question - is it possible to have a table within a form (ie
the subform is just the table itself - I dragged and dropped the table into
the main form from the Navigation screen), and to only bring in some of the
fields, or make some of the fields read only, while others are able to be
edited?

Basically I have a table with BranchCode | BranchName | CashBudget |
DebitBudget

and I only want users to be able to edit CashBudget & DebitBudget, via a form,
but I want to keep the datasheet view (since we have over 40 branches listed).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

From: Dorian on
A form does not 'contain' a table. A form (or subform) has controls that are
bound to columns in a table. If you only want certain columns to be
updatable, then do not include controls for the other columns or make the
controls hidden or locked.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

From: John W. Vinson on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 13:46:51 GMT, "ErikFM via AccessMonster.com" <u57373(a)uwe>
wrote:

>I have a quick question - is it possible to have a table within a form (ie
>the subform is just the table itself - I dragged and dropped the table into
>the main form from the Navigation screen), and to only bring in some of the
>fields, or make some of the fields read only, while others are able to be
>edited?

Not a table, no. If you like the datasheet appearance, you can certainly use a
Subform with "datesheet" as its default view; it can be based on a query
selecting only a subset of the fields. You can also use a Continuous Form
which can be made to look very much like a datasheet, but gives you more
control; e.g. you can have some controls locked so the user can read but not
edit them; you can use other controls such as combo boxes or option groups.

You might want to look at some of the hints, tutorials and resources here:

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal: