From: Dr Alok Modi MD on
I have Win XP Pro, Office 2007, Satellite Pro Toshiba Laptop, Centrino Intel
1.5 Hz and 1.5 GB RAM, with 120 GB HDD. Recently when I try to save a
microsoft word file, the message comes "initializing the places bar" a meter
comes and then after a long time, the save as dialog window appears. Where is
the problem? I have taken the screenshots of my screen to make it more
clear. I wish I could upload the screenshots for a better understanding .

Sincerely

Dr Alok Modi MD
From: Mark F. on

"Dr Alok Modi MD" <DrAlokModiMD(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Win XP Pro, Office 2007, Satellite Pro Toshiba Laptop, Centrino
>Intel
> 1.5 Hz and 1.5 GB RAM, with 120 GB HDD. Recently when I try to save a
> microsoft word file, the message comes "initializing the places bar" a
> meter
> comes and then after a long time, the save as dialog window appears. Where
> is
> the problem? I have taken the screenshots of my screen to make it more
> clear. I wish I could upload the screenshots for a better understanding .
>
> Sincerely
>
> Dr Alok Modi MD

The "Places Bar" is the listview on the left of the "Save As" dialog box
where folder icons such as Desktop, My Documents are shown. Explorer may be
having trouble locating the virtual folders for display. A symptom of a
bloated, fragmented hard drive, and possible corruption of the Master File
Table (MFT). This is fixable with cleanup and defragmenting the drive.

I suggest you do a drive cleanup. Remove temporary files *.tmp, Internet
cache, cookies etc., as well as defragment the hard drive. It will improve
the speed and efficiency of your machine.

Cleanup:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/northrup_restoreperf.mspx
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-16.html

Defragmenting:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

Turn off your virus scanner and any screen saver before you defragment the
hard drive. Turn the virus scanner back on when finished.

As a last resort, you may have to reinstall (repair) Microsoft Office or
perform a repair install of Windows XP to resolve this.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924611
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Mark

From: Dr Alok Modi MD on
I will do as you say Mark and let you know if my problem is solved. Thanks
Dr Alok Modi MD