From: Timm on
I hope I can make this clear....Several years ago, and I don't remember how I
did it, I put a "windows startup password" on both of my XP Home edition
computers. I know the password so I'm not trying to break in and get past
it. I just want to know how to change or disable it so I can get the kids on
to the downstairs computer without me having to go down and type the password
everytime they want to use it. Now that they are older (and I have a good
filter) I want them to sign in for themselves. I cannot give them the
startup password in use now because my computer has the same password and I
do not want them to have access to my files.

It is not a bios password.

From: P. Di Stolfo on
Hello,

do I understand correctly: You are logging in into Windows XP using your
username and password? Then, just create a new user account for your
children.
See the following article on how to create it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783/en-us

Hope this is what you meant. Please tell us if it helped.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language

From: Gary S. Terhune on
Go to Control Panel, Users accounts, select your account and change the
password, or get rid of it altogether, or set up a new, limited account for
the kids so they can't wreck the system, unless they're old enough to learn
how to rebuild it.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

From: Timm on
Hello!

No, this is not a XP account password or administrator password. I have
those too for individual users. This PW has to be entered before XP will
even open up. Just after the XP flag appears, small 2" x 4" window pops up
and says "this computer is configured to require a password in order to start
up. Please enter the startup password below". After entering the password
the screen appears for individuals to log in with usernames and passwords.
I set this up a couple of years ago and cannot remember how I did it.

Tim

From: Timm on
Thanks Gary but it's not a user account setup in control panel. I wish it
were that easy. Please see the detailed answer I replied with to P. Di
Stolfo.

Timm

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Go to Control Panel, Users accounts, select your account and change the
> password, or get rid of it altogether, or set up a new, limited account for
> the kids so they can't wreck the system, unless they're old enough to learn
> how to rebuild it.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
> www.grystmill.com
>
> "Timm" <Timm(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I hope I can make this clear....Several years ago, and I don't remember how
> > did it, I put a "windows startup password" on both of my XP Home edition
> > computers. I know the password so I'm not trying to break in and get past
> > it. I just want to know how to change or disable it so I can get the kids
> > on
> > to the downstairs computer without me having to go down and type the
> > password
> > everytime they want to use it. Now that they are older (and I have a good
> > filter) I want them to sign in for themselves. I cannot give them the
> > startup password in use now because my computer has the same password and
> > do not want them to have access to my files.
> >
> > It is not a bios password.
> >

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Takes time to save